Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:16 PM
harleybiker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail motor?

Can anyone tell me about this balanced motor and how it performs at idle and at various speeds? Thanks.

hb

Old 10-20-2004, 08:04 PM
BClem
Banned
Default RE: Softail motor?

You are searching for information about an engine that was designed specifically for the softail. You may take note that the custom builders use the 88 engine not the 88B when they build a 'custom' softail. The engine is the same except for the low end torque and much added mechanical putz. Starting to whirl the flyweights will, of course, slow the acceleration, load the sprockets and chains, and give a modest boost in low end torque.

The top end performance will also suffer when baypass oil from the oil pump that supposidly keeps the 'flyweight' chains tensioned decreases, allows the chains to slaken, untimes the balance weights and destroys the timing side of the engine case. The engine is history.

Harley has steped on its dork on this one. The only thing that remains to prove the fact is time - out of warranty time. Harley is very close about telling their customers what REALLY went wrong with their motorcycle. Most service departments will actually lie to you about the true problem. A great shortcoming for Harley who is on the crest of a wave and could give a crap about the people who are loyal customers.

I have more, want it?

BClem

Old 10-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BClem

I have more, want it?
Hey Clem, I'm definitely interested in what you have to say...

Ryan

Old 10-21-2004, 01:10 AM
harleybiker
Tourer

Yeah, keep it coming!

hb

Old 10-21-2004, 01:11 AM
harleybiker
Tourer

So you're saying the 88 is the better motor, the one used on the Dynas?
Thanks.

hb

Old 10-21-2004, 03:08 AM
BClem
Banned

The softail frame is where Harley decided to put the B model because of the rigid engine mounts and it is amazing to me the number of people who own a softail and do not know about the engine. The touring bikes all have the 88 since the engine is rubber mounted. Harley was embarrassed about the vibration of the V twin and knew that it would destroy the light duty frame of the softail so included a major modification to the 88; flyweights attempting to balance the engine and cure some of the vibration.

The Delphi ECM used by Harley is the next reason for alarm. The system cannot be bypassed or done away with. The simple idea of 'going back' conventional ignition will not work for many reasons. The ECM is expensive and will certainly send many bikes to the scrap yard in the near future. Warranty is this case is a good thing because even the electronic speedometer is dear to Harley.

I'm riding an '04 Dyna. I chose it because it is similar to what I have always ridden as far as Harley goes (and has the 88). Years ago I stripped down an old Electra Glide to bare essentials for the ride. (kept the seat post shock) The engine was the main concern to me and I was able to do most of my own work on it including exchanging the pistons and barrels for shovel and upgrading the camshaft with Sifton then Andrews cams. I build minature internal combustion engines in my home hobby machine shop and have a vigerous interest in engines. The 88 engine brought me back to Harley but researching the machine and discussing it with Harley mechanics, I chose the basic 88 whose design was purchased by Harley Davidson. (Harley Davidson Did Not Design The 88 Engine!)

BClem

Old 10-21-2004, 10:39 AM
bowsaw
Intermediate

Very interesting BClem, who designed it?

Old 10-21-2004, 10:31 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BCLem I just bought a 2004 deuce a couple of months ago. What you are telling me is that i should keep extending my warrenty becouse my motor will self distruct? How many miles am i looking at? Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks for info,
David

Old 10-21-2004, 10:35 PM
harleybiker
Tourer

BClem;
Thanks for all the valuable info

hb

Old 10-22-2004, 12:39 AM
BClem
Banned

Normal riding and care, the engine is fine. 'Hot Rod' or modify the engine, bad news. Extended warranty is never a mistake but this discussion of deficiendies is when the motor is well out of warranty with many, many miles on it. Run it, enjoy it!

BClem

Quick Reply: Softail motor?