Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 fatboy trade in $$$ need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 PM
harley albert
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 fatboy trade in $$$ need advice

I have seen the Kelly Blue Book trade in value. But does anyone have any feedback on current trade in deals for 2005 Fatboys? I am planing on trading in my Fatboy for a Street Glide. I think that it will be easier to trade it in rather than selling it and getting a few more dollars.

Bike:
2005 fuel injected 88 cu inch
Rush Mufflers, Power Commander, Arlen Ness Big Sucker
Chubby Chrome Road King Handle Bars
Braided Stainless Steel Hoses with internal wiring
Full Chromed controls on Handlebars and Kuryakyn grips
Windshield
Passenger backrest
24k miles

I am hoping to get $10K-$11K on trade in.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hard to say right now with the market the way it is. The new ones are cheaper but then again so are the trades. This is a better time to buy one outright more than trade unless you have a Sporty

Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain

If you sell outright and have time, you may be able to get a buyer at around $12,500 to $13,000 for your Fatboy. If you can sell this way, you will be several thousand dollars ahead of using the bike as a trade in. It is always easier to trade in the bike, buy you likely will not get offered the KBB trade in value from the dealer (figure on $7500 to $9500). If you do base the new bike deal on a trade in, count on paying the balance between the trade and new bike up to full MSRP+ fees.

You may want to negotiate the price on the new bike first, then let the dealer know about your trade in. Dealers are hungry to sell bikes and you need to use that to your advantage. They may start off at less than MSRP for the new bike, and be willing to give you more for your trade in order to not end up losing the sale. If at all possible, at this time outright cash is king vs. financing as the HD interest rates are pathetic (and ultimately provide additional profit for the dealer on the sale).

Not trying to be a joykill or trying to talk you out of buying a new bike, just responding to your post.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are a lot better off selling your Fat Boy. You can run it in Craig's list for free. The dealer wont give you what a completely stock 2005 Fat Boy is worth and they sure wont give you anything extra for the stuff you have added. I doubt if you will have much trouble selling your bike in your area.
You should get at least $4,000 to $5,000 more selling it yourself. Go to a few local dealers and see what they will give you, that should give you the motivation to sell it yourself.
The new bikes should be discounted at least $1,000 off MRSP. You can look up the MRSP of all the models on the HD site.
Tom

Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
HugYourHog
Intermediate

Might also want to check NADA values. My local dealer does not use KBB, but NADA. And as stated before, the $tealer$hip won't give you a dime for any of your mods.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Phil666
Intermediate
Default Trade in 's

If USA is anything like UK NEVER trade in ;remember dealers want to sell on your HD and make profit this means the market value of your bike will never be offered,ASk a dealer for trade in price , look at what they are selling then sell yours for a price in between.E bay is a good place to start. Phil

Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Around here, all the dealers use NADA and clean trade is around $12,000. Retail (if you sell it on your own) is abot $13,600. Keep in mind, by trading it in, you will only be taxed on the differece between what you get for it and what you are buying. If you sell it then buy, you pay your state's full sales tax. Sometimes one is better off trading in.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
oldmansbike
Novice

I bought a bone stock 05 Fatboy with 3000 miles last August from a dealer for $12500. So 10 to 11 thousand on trade isn't probably realistic. Sell it outright you'll be money ahead. Things might be different in your area though.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dealer is not going to give you Kelly, NADA or whatever. The dealer will give you what the current MARKET value trade in is on your bike. And today, it's not much.

I'm guessing, he's going to give you maybe $8500, perhaps $8000 or $7500. Probably not what you want to hear but that's reality. So because of the current promotion, an '07 1200 Sportster will be worth more in trade than your '05 Fatboy.

Harley's new prices for some Dyna's and the FLSTF have gone DOWN the last couple years. That's right. You can get a newer bike for less than you bought a new bike 3-4 years ago.

Not to mention the newer bikes have improvements (96", 6 speed, larger tires) so pre '07 softails and pre '06 dynas are going to be worth less. But it is the current economy and flood of used bikes (and new sold over the last few years) that's killing trade in value.

Accessories are going to be almost worthless at trade. Take all accesssories and chrome doodads and sell them on ebay. You'll get a lot more money. Trade in the bike in its stock condition. Obviously, engine upgrades you'll need to keep on the bike.

Good luck with the trade.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 01-28-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
michael95688
Tourer

What AZ said... I just paid $8500 for a nice softail with 10k miles in November. It has about 4-6k in add on chrome, pipe and carb work and I'm just a guy who likes bikes, the stealers here in northern california are resistant to taking trades enless they must to get the deal done. In any case it's a position of weakenss and aviod it if possible. Sell your bike then buy what you want.

This time of year I'd suggest making your best deal and hanging on to your old bike til may and then sell your old bike.

Last edited by michael95688; 01-28-2009 at 05:14 PM.