Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me... 12th hour plea.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chromedome
Well...pulled the trigger and had it installed today and for $1400 to boot. When JD realized I had 2a 200 mile round trip, he comped me so to speak. Gonna post some pics of the install and more details. For now all I will say is I rode 100 miles home smiling my *** off. This is for sure night and day!!
Awesome man. Sounds like some stellar service.

I wonder what kind of "comp" he would give if I rode cross country? Hmmmmmm.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cosshog
Only a warning for you. I had shotgun on my softail 2 years ago and had to remove it. The system was ok as far as performance but as far as safety it was crap. Every time it got wet it would begin to inflate and deflate on its own jumping all around. Contacted JD who said he had never had one do that.. oh well in that case I guess mine is ok. No it was not I made sure everthing was sealed put rubber boots over switches and problem continued. JD unwilling to refound even though I was very unsatisfied with product. I filed a report with BBB. JD finally said it back and we agreed on a refund price which was never sent. At that point I was tired of dealing with him and just dropped it (lesson learned) but I will not hesitate to tell some one how poorly he runs his business and warn them of a possible safety issue. Just monitor it closely and keep a 10mm wrench with you so if it does malfunction you can disconnect it from the battery.
If you did have a problem, which I am not questioning you, we should use a little common sense to figure it out. The problem should have nothing to do with the non electrical parts, like the part that costs 90% of the bill, the shock itself.. Did you ask JD to replace these electrical parts first?
If not, did he suggest this?
It sounds like a simple short in either your compressor wiring, your switches or your switch wiring or the solenoids.. Any of which is possible with anything electrical from time to time. Inflation and deflation rule out the solenoids and the wiring because they have no direct control over inflating AND deflating together as a potential cause. Now, we're down to the ultra simple switches, because each switch controls exactly what you said your problems were, random inflation and deflation. Sounds to me like one of your switches went bad.. I would have a very hard time refunding someone's money if it were a simple switch, and it's only fair to give the man an opportunity to fix the problem first.

It sounds like an easy fix could have been had, but somehow communication got a little ugly. It certainly doesn't sound like the shock itself, so calling the system a safety hazzard is a little lame..
I wash my bike almost every time I ride it, then I blow it off with a Master Blaster which is the WORST thing for electrical connections. I haven't had a problem..

Last edited by George C; 09-01-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you do not have any problems. The fix could have been as simple as the switches but when the person you are dealing with does not make contact with you after several attempts and the when you finally do talk to him instaed of his machine or e-mail and the response is I have had any others do that. It is not really helpfull to the situation. He said try boots already did that, try sealing around the switches.. ok done... still having problems. After several trie of trying to rectify he wore me down and I took the system off. I think the system has potential and may be great, I unfortunately had a bad experience with them and want people considering it to be aware of a possible problem.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have read about 4 people now with this system. 3 satisfied 1 not. For $1500.00+ i would hope customer service is A++ ...switch or whatever...NOBODY!!! likes to be blown off after spending that much loot$$$...I read about alot of people buying the Hi/Low air ride for half the price + lifetime warrenty + GREAT customer service. Personally if i were to buy as of today i would be leaning towards the Platinum bleed/feed. So if JD is a firm believer in this system why doesn't he give a better warrenty for a $1500.00+ system. Not nocking it down, but someday i may be a potential buyer of such a system. And #1 is product function & reliability #2 pricing #3 warrenty & customer service. If it's in my top three concerns its damm well to me important. Sucks for now i have to ride with "bolts" installed. But ride isn't bad for $35.00

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 09-01-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
flstf08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Shotgun system on my bike, It is the best ride I have ever been on. You will see a night and day difference. Good job on the price.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gents,
IMHO what matters is how suspension designed/engineered.
Both standard oil/spring and air/gas charged suspension try to achieve the same thing, just going about it in a different way.

Few guys here came up with large trucks as an example. Well large trucks have no choice but to have air/gas charged suspensions. Large trucks need/can displace a large amount of air to achieve the required dumping. Typically truck's suspension offers large amount of travel which is perfect in displacing large amount of air and dampening the ride. Oil-based suspension however doesn't offer the same amounts of travel and hence can't be used in this particular application.

Now going back to bikes, the suspension quality, whether oil or air, is directly dependant on the quality of valving used in the shock absorbers. If valving on Shotgun Air-ride is engineered properly, the suspension will perform flawlessly and probably better then the HD factory oil/spring arrangement. Factory built suspension need to cater for all shapes and sizes, hence the valving used in the shocks will never be perfect for your particular weight.

Sounds like most people here are happy with the quality of Shotgun suspension, which leads me to believe that their engineering design is quite good. I have a friend who just fitted a set to his Xbones and he loves the quality of the ride. Needless to say, that properly valved oil/spring suspension will perform just as good.

Also, take a note of the suspension setup being used in racing. For example, on the race track where cars that have extremely limited suspension travel (low to the ground), only oil/spring suspension is used as air suspension needs travel to generate enough dumping.

Sorry if I rant too much on the subject.

Last edited by vladt; 09-02-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 AM
hemi
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

Have the shotgunshock on my bones as vladt said above and have not had a problem with it

Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 AM
kiteman
Cruiser

I'm a bit puzzled as there is an extremely small amount of info on Shotgun Shocks on the Net. Cosshog says he's had them for 2 years so maybe lots of other guys have too. If that's the case then I'm just a bit surprised that this discussion seems to be quite new (concerning Shotguns I mean).

From my searching, Shotgun is the first brand that I have come across that clearly promotes the fact that there is HEIGHT control and STIFFNESS (or rebound) control. I now assume that Platinum offered the same. I think that comparing stock shockies with after-market air shockies AT THE SAME RIDE HEIGHT is not the same discussion as comparing LOWERED stock shockies with after-market air shockies at the LOWERED HEIGHT.

In my experience, the stock shockies on my 03 WideGlide were excellent whether 1-up or 2-up. I can't say the same for my Rocker. The comfort at stock height was just fine either 1-up or 2-up but once it's lowered, the stock shockies are SERIOUSLY HARD! It needed lowering due to the famous under-seat GAP!

I am seriously looking at the Shotguns due to their choice of ride height and stiffness. All input highly appreciated!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll get full swingarm travel with the Shotgun.

When I ride anywhere over an hour, I blow the system up to the top for full travel. It rides like a Cadillac as long as you don't pressurize it to the max.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM
treeblue
Novice

As far as I am concerned, You can't do better than ShotgunShock! I stand 6'8" and weigh 290 pounds, I was having problems with my bike bottoming out, so I started looking for an air ride system. after much research, and calling around to various manufacturers,I decided that ShotgunShock was my best bet. I will never regret that decision,after talking to JD the owner and designer of ShotgunShock on the phone. Since I live in California I decided to take a trip to Santa Ana, California. In December 2008, JD, installed the system for me, himself. He also gave me a nice discount from the listed price. That was the best decision I ever made, Even with my wife on the back, no more bottoming.

A couple of years later JD emailed and asked how things were going with the shocks, which I think was above and beyond what any other manufacturer/owner would do. He also said if I ever had any problems, give him a call, and he would help trouble shoot the problem. Since then anytime the topic of softail shocks comes up, I will recommend his system. I could not be more, happy with a product.