Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
mac1313
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exhaust Wrap????

Ok just to give you the low down I have a 05 Night Train with V&H Big Radius pipes and I want to wrap them up. First question, how much wrap do I need? Second, do you wrap the shields as well or take them off? I have also heard to wrap them from the back to the front, does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks guys!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Seeing as I just did this a few days ago I might be able to help. I bought a 50 ft roll of wrap and used a little over half on half of 2 pipes. Take the heat shields off so that if you ever decide you want to put them back on you have them. I don't think the direction you wrap really matters as I have read to wrap from the top and the bottom. Soak the wrap in water for a few minutes before wrapping for a nice tight fit. I used hose clamps but there are also stainless steel zip ties you can get. I got some DEI silicone spray to "seal" the wrap and it said to wait until the wrap was dry. I let them sit 24 hours and they were still a little damp. Put 3 coats of the spray, bolted them back up and rode. It will SMOKE when it is new. People will stare at you and think your Harley is burning oil or something. That happened today. Some lady rolled down her window and asked me what was wrong. I looked at her and responded nothing. If you have any other question pelase ask. I read a tutorial by Mud, Dyna section moderator and it was very helpful.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can wrap either front to bach or back to front, I would recommend a back to front wrap that way the edges will not fray from the wind. Take the heat shields off. Length of wrap depends on length of pipes. A 50' roll will get both pipes and leave you some left over. Remove the pipes much much easier to wrap. Wet the wrap, it's messy but makes a tighter wrap. Once the wrap is completely dry spray some High temp BBQ paint on the wrap, it will slow the fading of the wrap. It's gonna smoke like hell for about a week and stink like *** for the same time but it looks killer. Hope this helps

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

You need about 2X the length of the pipes you intend to wrap. Buy a 50' roll because your friends will want to do it too.

I've never wrapped over shields, but I don't know why you couldn't. I've always started at the end closest to the heads. If I'm doing full length I get it right up close to the flange, but allow enough room to remove the flange. I sevure the ends with safety wire, but they make special SS cable ties for the purpose.

Here's a tip, before you wet the wrap to apply, cut your peoces, and either tape or glue the threads at the ends to keep them from unraveling. You will be glad you did. I've done painted and left 'em raw, your choice. Take your time and be prepared for the stink when you fire them up the first several times.
\

Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

You beat me to it Doc. I need to learn to type faster.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 PM
mac1313
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 AM
nytmar1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wrapped mine over the heat shields, its a little harder but you get a nice smooth look, with stepped pipes like the big radius it looks weird if you take the heat shield off. always start from the bottom that way the top edge is covered. btw i have V&H side shots.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Wrap????-cimg0842.jpg   Exhaust Wrap????-cimg0841.jpg  

Last edited by nytmar1; 02-16-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
jprior
Advanced

I kinda like the faded, frayed, worn-in look.

Anyway... how long does the wrap last? I assume after awhile it gets loose or worn out by the elements and should be replaced.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
twisted125
Road Master

I would like to see some big radius that have been done. I have trouble makers and the actual pipes are not very long at all. I would say about half of the length of the pipe as you see it is heat shield.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM
ROCKER"D"
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twisted look at mikes on my friends list big radius 2 into 2 wrapped..i think up to the heat shields

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap????