Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
twisted125
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool man, thanks

Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You can't wrap over shields, it will make installing the pipes back a nightmare, and will not allow for 'tight' air sealed wrap as there will be void space.

I just finished wrapping mine, I started from the top.

Use DEI they have guides that will help you wrap evenly, everything else the members mentioned here is prefectly correct.

You do not need to buy the silicone seal, I used a black hi temp spray.

On the 'soaking' front, I used a water spray , someone said you do not need to soak it and he was right, just spray with water twice rolled out, roll it in again and let it set rolled with water inside for an hour, and you are good to go.

OH REMEMBER .. wear working gloves or Rubber gloves, this **** has some glass/silicon stuff that will pierce your skin easy and cause an annoying itch for sometime.
When you use the ties near the header, make sure you do not let the tie part where the screw is close to the point where the manifold bolts go through, maybe mark them before you take off the pipes.
Finally, wrap really tight and take your time.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Wrap????-bsc_original-041.jpg   Exhaust Wrap????-bsc_original-094.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess the next time I do this i will wrap from the bottom. After having put about 500 miles on with the wrap it has stopped smoking and looks good. It fades even with the spray on it, but that is part of it's charm. I used no guide for wrapping, I'll need those DEI instructions next time. Good luck and post pics. I'd rate this mod as a 2 out of 10 difficulty. Having patience for it to dry was the hardest part.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't cut the running ends with scissors. Use a hot knife (or soldering iron with a thin flat blade.)

The heat seals the ends and they won't fray . . .

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
Don't cut the running ends with scissors. Use a hot knife (or soldering iron with a thin flat blade.)

The heat seals the ends and they won't fray . . .

I sorta like the fraying ends it adds to the hot-rod, home-made look, ...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gotta paint em blak now but you get the picture

use gloves, i wet the wrap w/ a sprayer (water) worked great good luck

Last edited by m i k e; 06-28-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 AM
ratWynx
6th Gear

post more pics...

i have the same pipes and want to get a good idea before i waste my time wrapping.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratWynx
post more pics...

i have the same pipes and want to get a good idea before i waste my time wrapping.
see sig pic...

Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking CrossBones wrap

I wraped my stock CrossBones pipes. I used all but about 5' of a fifty foot of a 1" roll. As others have said, I dumped the roll into a 5 gal. bucket of water. I anchored the end with safety wire. Way cheaper and looks better than alternatives. I rolled the tape on. I researched this and was told to wrap from the back end. If I was doing it again I would wrap from the front end. This would allow the wraps to shed water instead of catching it. At the far end I achored the wrap with safety wire. Looks good and cheap!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 PM
drtystv
Stage II
Default Glad I looked here first!

I have the V&H Big Radius 2-1, gonna wrap it this weekend, and I'd like to leave the heat shields on, to avoid looking very disproportionate once I get to where they meet. DEI does not indicate using ANY water before installing the Titanium wrap, and the pictures included in the instruction do not show any kind of wet messy fiberglass goop dripage anywhere. Thanks for all the great info!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap????