Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I stand corrected on the controls on the Deluxe. I hate to admit this too, but before I go to bed, I'll usually say good night to the dogs and on occasion, to my wife and kids, but I always go out to the garage to put my baby to bed. So tonight I noticed that yes, the controls on the Deluxe are somewhat forward mounted. But the Reach seat may be an idea. These seats don't really bring you lower, but they do move you forward, closer to the controls and handlebars. Another thing might be a narrower seat. The stock seat is pretty wide, which makes it a little tougher to reach the ground. Oh, and no car, but my dad did buy me my first new bike, but it was only a 250 Honda.

Last edited by gforrest2; 03-15-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:33 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't need to bring the controls back just bring the seat forward and down. Stock seats are wide, thick, and offer nothing to hold you forward. I'm 5' 2" with an inseam of 24" I use the Danny Gray Speed Cradle Solo. Compared to the stock FatBoy seat the Speed Cradle is a little more then 2" forward, 2" down and a hell of a lot narrower. So she is not reaching to far forward you will also need handlebars with plenty of pullback.

http://www.dannygray.com/StandardSea...itch=1&Bike=-1

Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's great that your mom shares the passion for harleys, enjoy every minute...like the payback concept...

i would follow phanthomaxx advise and if needed get a rear mounted kickstand...
btw, performance machine makes mid controls for softails

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
it's great that your mom shares the passion for harleys, enjoy every minute...like the payback concept...

i would follow phanthomaxx advise and if needed get a rear mounted kickstand...
btw, performance machine makes mid controls for softails
Yeah...my mom is pretty cool! She taught me to ride a Honda Rebel when I was 12...fond memories...lol

Even to this day we enjoy going on long rides together. It is really nice to be able to do things with your parent(s)...I know plenty of people that have nothing to do with their parents, kids, or any other member of their family. I must say that I feel truly blessed.

So far, the concepts appear to be a little cheaper than I expected. I still need to do a little research on how to install a rear mounted kickstand, though. I'm starting to get a little excited about this project.

I checked with Performance Machine's website, and came up empty handed...I may have to call and talk with them about that...if they do, that would be NICE.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

pm mid controls:
http://www.performancemachine.com/Ca...px?display=367

the mid control route would be expensive, i would try first a seat change, curved pullback risers for handlebars, and rear kickstand...

i've got a ness rear kickstand, it mounts with 2 bolts in the holes on the frame found on the lowest part at the level of the swing arm pivot...the holes come with plastic plugs from factory, just remove them and they are already threaded...real easy install

Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by SpicOfTheDevil
pm mid controls:
http://www.performancemachine.com/Ca...px?display=367

the mid control route would be expensive, i would try first a seat change, curved pullback risers for handlebars, and rear kickstand...

i've got a ness rear kickstand, it mounts with 2 bolts in the holes on the frame found on the lowest part at the level of the swing arm pivot...the holes come with plastic plugs from factory, just remove them and they are already threaded...real easy install
SAH-WEET! Sounds much easier than I expected. Thanks for the info! I'm getting so excited about this project, I'm already looking at bikes that look like potential willing victims...

Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
luxlo
6th Gear

Hi! I am too 5'2" and I traded in my Nightster for a Deluxe. I have researched the handlebars, lowering seat, and lowering the bike. Yes, I will have to do all 3 to be comfortable. DO NOT get the reach seat as I did and did NOT work for me! HD is coming out with a "new reach seat" sometime in July. I will be selling my "reach seat" and I'm taking the stock seat to a place to have it fit me. I'm changing the handlebars, which at this point I'll probably buy the "Buckhorn" as I like that style and not the "Swingback" as I don't like the style. Finally, I'll lower the bike, as I want to feel very comfortable. After doing the other 2 changes, I will probably need to lower the bike 1" to be able to handle the bike as I want.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Thanks for the heads up on the seat! I think we may just go the route of having the stock seat redone on this one.

With lowering the bike, are you planning on lowing both front and rear, or just the rear portion of the bike?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

my wife is 5'2" and her knees are bent on mine. she has trouble with the solo seat on it but with the sundowner she can reach everything fine. it's lowered 2" front and back

Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 PM
luxlo
6th Gear

I am lowering both, but I think I only need 1" lower. The rear comes "lowered from the factory," but one of the dealerships around here told me that they can lower it one more inch. The other two dealerships told us that lowering the back can't be done, unless you use "Air Shocks". However, they do not recommend the Air shocks as you have to hit something (a switch) every time you come to a stop. I don't think I'm going that route as I can barely keep my eyes on the road!

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged Issue!