Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter is 5'2" and she can ride the wifes Deluxe. I remember reading an article in the "Enthusiast" mag, where a woman wrote in and told her story of getting her "Ultra" and she was 5'4" / 110 lbs.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luxlo
I am lowering both, but I think I only need 1" lower. The rear comes "lowered from the factory," but one of the dealerships around here told me that they can lower it one more inch. The other two dealerships told us that lowering the back can't be done, unless you use "Air Shocks". However, they do not recommend the Air shocks as you have to hit something (a switch) every time you come to a stop. I don't think I'm going that route as I can barely keep my eyes on the road!
What kind of system requires hitting a switch everytime you stop?? I've got a Shotgun Shock and and once set it stays that way unless you want to alter the height or change the firmness.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you got some mentally challenged stealers around you! I thought the main thing with the LO was the design of the seat that lowered you. sounds like from your stealers Harley put millions of dollars in research to come up with a special shock for it or something that can't be touched. that's called BS

Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM
sancho_panza
Advanced

For what it's worth, I went though an awful lot of seats, bars, and shocks/springs to get comfortable on my Nightster, then my Street Bob, and then my Fat Boy. The Nightster fit me like a glove with forward controls and mini-apes.

On the Dyna, I needed mid-mounts and mini-apes with pull-back risers (looked a little goofy).

The reach to the controls on my stock Fat Boy was very, very uncomfortable for me. I really like the Softail HD Reach seat (but I hated it on the Dyna and just used a "normal" Badlander instead): it totally solved the reach to the foot controls. I also put on a Deluxe kickstand, which makes it super-easy to reach. I did use the HD lowering shocks (stock on the Deluxe and new Fat Boy Lo) and HD front lowering fork springs. My bike seems very low to the ground (can't get my jack under it anymore). Finally, I put Wild One Chubby Road King bars on, and they are a-w-e-s-o-m-e. I have an extremely upright and comfortable riding position (like a police-bike), and my legs and arms have very nice , relaxed bends in every position, even on tight turns (very good control and no back fatigue). Note that I did need to lengthen my switch wires, throttle/idle cables, and brake line for those bars, however.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
spacekowboy
Tourer

My wife is 5'-0". We traded her nightster in on a Deluxe. Stock she could not comfortable touch the ground. At first we put on the reach seat and she could easily touch. Last month we lowered it 2" using progressive shocks. Now height is not an issue. Next I am looking at the Le Pera Up Front Bare Bones, not really digging the two-up style of the reach seat. The up front seat moves you closer to the tank and lower, just curious as to what this looks like. She has more confidence than ever and is totally comfortable. She too at first had issues reaching the rear brake but I think just getting used to the bike helped take care of that.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get a frame mounted kickstand. Put it wherever you want. My wife is 5"2, believe me, I know the issue.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Ain't nothing wrong with a Nightster,it will run down the big boys in a heart beat.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First, I can't believe she is more compfortable riding a Nightster. I am 2" taller, and felt the Sporty was way too top heavy for me. The Deluxe is a much lower center of gravity, she will love it. Keep in mind it is already lower than the other softails by an inch in the seat so unless she has tried one, it will be different than a FB or Heritage.

That said, I wouldn't change much more than the seat and kickstand before she tries it and take it from there. That may be enough and I'd hate to see you invest in changes that won't work for her. I just changed out my bars for the pullback and HATE them. I'm going back to a stock like beach bar.

The kickstand does have an extension and took me awhile to get used to. Sometimes I do have to point my toe to grab it...very graceful I might add. With the change in the seat she shouldn't have a problem with the rear brake. I couldn't reach on a FB because the seat and set up was so wide, but had no problem on the Deluxe even though theseat is wide in the back.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
v2in
Tourer

I'm also 5 foot 2 but I'm Male. I took a 2010 FB and put the 2 inch lowering kit on it and a seat from a FB LO. I'm flat footed on the ground. Harley makes a kickstand extension. She should be good to go. GOOD LUCK.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Ain't nothing wrong with a Nightster,it will run down the big boys in a heart beat.
True enough, but as DeluxeLady pointed out, it is a very top-heavy bike. My mom would like a bike that is still confidence inspiring (meaning the bike would likely need to be lowered), yet comfortable and still able to inspire that confidence on the highway. Whereas, right now, she gets blown around a lot.

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged Issue!