Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heritage seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
batone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heritage seat

This has probably been asked and answered and if it has, I apologize. I am trying to see if anyone has good seat suggestions for a 2007 Heritage Softail. I have the ultimate seat on it now and I paid about $800.00 for the driver and passenger seat. the backrest is great, but after about an hour in the seat, my butt is killing me and there is just so much adjustment you can do at 70 mph. I just rode the bike from North MS to Panama City Florida and it was very long and uncomfortable ride. I have friends that have Electra Glides and seem to be able to ride all day with not problems. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM
gasbag
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an Ultimate seat for my Heritage. The stock seat was extremely uncomfortable for me. My Ultimate seat was also a bit uncomfortable at first, however they state that you must give them a little time to conform to your hind end. So I did.

The first week it felt a little hard. I also sat higher in the seat than the stock one. The second week it was feeling better. After 1000 miles it is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on. I am also sitting lower now back to the height of the stock seat. It takes a while for the memory foam to do it's job. If it can conform to my big old butt I figure it's a pretty good product.

Just my 2 cents worth. At today's prices worth only about .78 cents.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

A C&C with a drivers backrest. I run the solo without a back rest on my ride and love it.
Here is a pic of my seat.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Soft422
Cruiser

Originally Posted by batone
This has probably been asked and answered and if it has, I apologize. I am trying to see if anyone has good seat suggestions for a 2007 Heritage Softail. I have the ultimate seat on it now and I paid about $800.00 for the driver and passenger seat. the backrest is great, but after about an hour in the seat, my butt is killing me and there is just so much adjustment you can do at 70 mph. I just rode the bike from North MS to Panama City Florida and it was very long and uncomfortable ride. I have friends that have Electra Glides and seem to be able to ride all day with not problems. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Yes, this subject comes up on a regular basis. You can use the search engine on this site for more info. The EG's have a touring seat, so they should be more comfortable, although there are lots of people that ride baggers that change out seats too. Why? Because seat comfort is very, very subjective and is a very personal issue. Many posters in the past have had good things to say about Ultimate Seats, again proving my point. I have a Mustang Solo Seat and passenger seat and I like the set-up very much. Other's here have sent their stock seats off to a 3rd party, such as Mean City or C & C Seats to make their seats more comfortable. These are just a couple of ideas.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 PM
scubadnv
Cruiser

Had the factory seat on my 04 Fatty OUCH!!! switched to a Corbin OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! Dont mess around I now have the Mustang Wide Touring and it is extremely comfortable.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Radimus
Tourer

If you aren't afraid of reassembling your saddle: SADDLEMEN GEL PAD RAW XL about $60.00

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2010...?entrypage=139

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index...&cPath=169_214

The RAW version goes inside your existing seat

Last edited by Radimus; 07-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM
batone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies, I remember reading the statement that it takes a while for the ultimate seat to conform to your but, but I have put around 3500 miles on the bike since I got the seat. May just be me, may not be cut out for all day riding. I had thought about a seat pad, but did not know that you could get one to go under the seat. Not sure I am capable of removing and reinstalling the cover to put that one in. Got to try something if I am going to take any long trips on this bike. Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Radimus
Tourer

Originally Posted by batone
Thanks for all the replies, I remember reading the statement that it takes a while for the ultimate seat to conform to your but, but I have put around 3500 miles on the bike since I got the seat. May just be me, may not be cut out for all day riding. I had thought about a seat pad, but did not know that you could get one to go under the seat. Not sure I am capable of removing and reinstalling the cover to put that one in. Got to try something if I am going to take any long trips on this bike. Thanks again for all the replies.

If you remove the seat and look at the bottom of it, it is just the same sort of process as redoing a dining room chair. Basically the seat cover is just stapled to the frame of the seat.. There are usually but clips that let you settle the cover in position before you staple it down.

If you do take the cover off, put all the padding and foam and such into a heavy weight trashbag before you recover it. It makes for an extral layer of weatherproofing. (and make sure you keep it snug)

Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Read alot of good things about your current seat so I have my doubts there is another out there that's gonna put you in butt nirvana.

Have you tried riding pants. Believe it or not the seams and pockets of your pants (or wallet) have a big effect on long rides.

Short story: I did a trip from NJ to Nova Scotia last year on my stock Heritage seat. Had monkey but before I got to Conn. But it went away by the time I got to Canada. Did a 1200 mile iron butt back from Sydney NS after riding the Cabot trail all day. Azz was fine till I hit NJ.

Point of the story is that I think there is such a thing as building up callus on your azz. And I think the riding pants I wore also helped.

I have since purchased a Mustang 17.5" touring seat. Got it mostly for the backrest. I've only done a 300 miler on it but really can't say it's all that better than my stock Heritage seat and I definitely prefer the stock seat for normal everyday riding.