Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the Mods begin - XBones Bobber

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
HD150
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good man can't wait to see the finished product and just keep on welding it'll come along

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I worked on connecting the sissy bar, the rear fender, and the turn signals. I created tabs on the fender and the sissy bar to run the turn signal bolt through. Sounds easy huh. NOT!!!!! Three moving parts in 3 demensions, impossible to line everything up.

After I installed the first turn signal, it occured to me that the bolt was only going into a cast aluminum housing. Not very strong. So then I put another bolt to take some of the strain off the turn signal bolt.

You may note that I have done a little more work on the plate bracket. I've got a trick backing plate I scored off ebay that will bolt to the bracket. Back to work tomorrow. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM
RNBONES
Road Master

Looking good! Just a suggestion but what about welding a small channel or tube under the rear fender to run your light wires through?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RNBONES
Looking good! Just a suggestion but what about welding a small channel or tube under the rear fender to run your light wires through?
Funny that you should ask. The fender came with two steel tubes under the fender for wires. Unfortunately the close clearance I am working on did not allow. I had to cut the tubes out. Because they had a nice curve, I may use one for my jockey shift. I plan on running the wires external to the swingarm. hope that works. How have you folks run the wires to the backend with a manufactured (Heartland) fender? I'm curious how to transistion from the frame to the swingarm.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

You know, on second thought, maybe I can run the wires under the fender, but not through the steel chanel. If I can figure a way to attach the wires to the fender in a low profile way, it would be a lot better than external. hummm....................... Hot glue?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking Good!
I'm liking the sissy bar

CC

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
flyingtiger77
Cruiser

Man this project is like a gruesome murder scene. My mind tells me to look away, but out of morbid curiosity I find myself sneaking peaks anyways!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
felixsum
Tourer
Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Bonesey57
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
You know, on second thought, maybe I can run the wires under the fender, but not through the steel chanel. If I can figure a way to attach the wires to the fender in a low profile way, it would be a lot better than external. hummm....................... Hot glue?
if ur sayin hot glue.. id say JB weld

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Well I've declared defeat. I hate that. The fender just is not going right.

In 7 hrs and 8 minutes I'll be the proud owner of a WCC JESSE JAMES RIGID ONE TON HO 9" REAR FENDER. Now that I've made every concievable mistake with the first, maybe this one will work out. More to come.

OK starting with a clean slate. The first fender I welded brackets for the top swingarm mount. The commercial versions of this bolt a bracket on. What's the consensus, bolt or weld. Bottom bracket will be bolted.

Last edited by JakesDad1; 12-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Let the Mods begin - XBones Bobber