Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:30 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
What's up with those people who start riding on a 660 lbs, 15000$ machine? When I started riding, a Harley was a goal.
When you started to ride? Man was just starting to enjoy the warmth of fire when that happened, you old fart.

(The Dyna Smart *** thread got the lock, thought you might need a little dose to keep your sanity)

Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
prost34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont assume the other riders on the road know what they are doing!,i have 600 miles on my deluxe,first time me and the mrs. went to leesburg bike fest i was in the middle of a u turn when a idiot from behind turned right in front of me and took off ! didnt even think about it just press and rolled,,, i also live near daytona during bike week when driving around i cant believe how many idiots that cant ride ,i saw way too many close calls and way too many bikes/riders down,,,,most important is not to think about it,relax,(dont look down when turning)and have fun!!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
prost34
Tourer

dont assume the other riders on the road know what they are doing!,i have 600 miles on my deluxe,but when i had 150 miles of riding time me and the mrs. went to leesburg bike fest i was in the middle of a u turn when a idiot from behind turned right in front of me and took off ! didnt even think about it just press and rolled,,, i also live near daytona during bike week when driving around i cant believe how many idiots that cant ride ,i saw way too many close calls and way too many bikes/riders down,,,,most important is not to think about it,relax,(dont look down when turning)and have fun!!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

use the search feature between now and then on all Ur questions.... u'll find thousands of answers...

break in is easy, go easy for 5-10miles then 10times- 30-60-30 in third no brakes 3/4 throttle, then 10- full throttle 30-70-30, no brake before 50 miles with a little rest on her between them. no 6th for the first 100 and not below 65 in 6th for the 1st K. Plus don't lug her below 2k anytime.
change motor oil anywhere between 100- 500 optional.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 PM
felixsum
Tourer

Two important things from the HURT Study on Motorcycle Accidents,
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...dy-summary.htm
  1. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.
  2. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
johnnyd2723
Novice

I agree with the others on the MSF course. I just took it this past weekend and let me tell ya', lots of good kniwledge.

I'm a re-entry rider, haven't ridden for about 20 years so I deceided what the heck, I'm gonna sign up for it(plus you get a break on your ins.). Three day class, 1 classroom and two on the course. The classroom was good, taught a lot of basic principals. The riding course was a blast, emergency stopping, emergency swerving(sp), tight cornering, obstacle course, and on and on. I look at it like this: Anyone can paint right? I mean all you do is pick up a paint brush and a roller and slap it on the walls. But to a professional painter there are many proper techniques to achieve the best results. Same with riding (IMO). Anyone can hop on a bike and ride it but to really know the true fundementals of riding a bike is priceless knowledge.

Take the course, you'lll be glad you did.

Congrats on the new bike and best of luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

+ Gizzilion on take the Course,
Trust me, I had tonnes and years of experience when a drunk driver u-turned into me, and I missed one year of my life in Bed, still can't walk properly till now and thank God, that women do not judge our legs the way we do judge theirs !.
Back to riding tips and what you need to know...
- I guess it is too late to talk you out of the FatBoy Lo as first bike, but if you can at least switch to a lighter 'dark' bike, they have some offers on sporties where you can replace them for the same price in a year ! if you can please please do that. you will enjoy your life a lot better this way.
- if it is too late and it is the fatboy LO, then more important than breaking in the bike properly is to take it easy, do your own pace.
- Things to avoid :
- group rides with people you do not know .. bad idea.
- highways are scary but interestingly enough at beginner level they are safer than freeways that has hidden driveways, deers, swerving/passing cars.
- Stop and Go traffic is in a very strange way a good way to gain confidence without too much risk.
- Do not feel too bad if you laid it down, odds are you will do it a few times, and high odds it will happen in your own driveway (don't ask me how I know ), just remember , take it easy and breath, do not rush to pick it up, get help and be thankful you live for another day of riding.

Did I sound grim ?.. Ok.. good

Peace.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 AM
fischer1920
4th Gear

I too just purchased a 2011 Fatboy Lo, I attended the Riders Edge Class at a Harley Dealership in the states and now i am breaking in the engine. Having lots of fun doing it.