Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I too big for a Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
heathdeloach
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I too big for a Deluxe?

The Deluxe is cosmetically my favorite Harley. Just something about it. But, I'm 6'4 about 230 (read 250) pounds. The seat feels like it pushes me forward a little bit. The salesman says that's cause the deluxe is mostly aimed at women. I think he just said that to try to talk me into a road king... anyways. Any taller, heavier guys own any softail deluxes? Any advice?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Memo7070
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that you should get what you want, its your money and besides its what you like not the salesman.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer

I'm about 6'3", 205 Lbs, and I ride a Fat Boy. I was orginally looking at the Deluxe because I liked the retro look it has. When I sat on a Deluxe, I found it smallish and it felt a little cramped. My wife said it it looked small under me. I believe the seat height is lower and more forward (due to the seat shape) than the Fat Boy. I also recall the bars being a little closer to me. Of course, that can all be modifed pretty easily to fit you better. Bars, a seat and footboard relocation are fairly basic and can be done for under $1k.

BTW, the salesman's comment about the Deluxe is BS. A lot of women ride the Fat Boy Low as well but I'm pretty sure the only bike Harley targeted specifcally at women is the 883 Superlow (no offense to any guys that own one).

Last edited by Daddy-O; 06-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Hopefully Country Deluxe(Gary) will see this thread.He is a big fella.I think he said he was like 6'6" 280. He seems to love his scoot.One of the most BAD *** looking Deluxe's on the Forums as well IMHO.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

If you change out the seat the Deluxe will fit just fine. I am only 5'11" and the stock seat squishes me. My C&C seat moved me back 2" and gave me more leg room.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM
shineybike
Road Captain

I'm about 6'3" but only about 190, long legs. I have a heritage. I installed an engine guard and highway pegs as low as I could put them on the guard. With the stock seat my legs are almost staight out. I don't use the floorboards that much but it's not bad with the stock seat. When I use my badlander seat I'm closer and my legs are bent some when using the highway pegs. When the badlander is on I use the floorboards even less since I'm sitting much lower and further forward. I'm not familiar with the delux other than sitting on one at the local dealer but they are the same frame so the difference is probably in the seat. If you like the delux styling maybe you could get a heritage and put on removable backrest and bag hardware.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
heathdeloach
Novice

I should probably mention that I've never ridden a big harley. I've ridden big kawi and yami cruisers, as well as an 07 1200 sporty. And a crapton of sportbikes. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 6'4" and saw a Deluxe I REALLY liked.....until I sat on it. I felt too low and too far forward and the cockpit felt cramped with my knees way too high when on the floorboards.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all in the seat, and bars. Change those out to something that better suits your size. A buddy of mine is 6'7" and weighs 580lbs and rides a Road King Classic. He might look like a monkey ****ing a football but he rides it.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Deluxe is pretty much the same as a Heritage or Fatboy, with the main difference the seat height and bars. Change those to what you like, as most do, and it should be fine.

If you want a totally stock bike that you plan no changes on, then something like a Road Queen, er, Road King, might be better.

Quick Reply: Am I too big for a Deluxe?