Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets, 3/4, half or full... Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM
J-Dog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets, 3/4, half or full... Which is better?

Hey fellas,
Got a question for you... What helmet(s) do you all prefer? I have a couple half hemets and a bell custom 500 3/4 but after riding in some colder weather in NORCAL i am thinking about getting a fullface for when its colder/freeway riding. what do you guys think? i know its all about personal preference but looking cool riding to the bar is one thing, but riding a bike as a daily driver is another.

thanks for the input guys...

Jason

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

All a matter of taste. Some will say a full face is the best protection some will argue the point. You wear what feels comfortable to you and what you feel safe in.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I ride with a ACC 1/2 helmet 95% of the ime and love it but I also own a Showa Fullface that Ive used in the winter or for a long freeway rides a few times.

Common sense , the Fullface is the safer and better protection but use what you like

Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ot-helmet.html

Here ya go, enjoy that thread, it pretty much answers most of everything.

I started with a 1/2 helmet, it was nice.. now i wear a RockHard 3/4 helmet which is just amazing (except when an ant gets in my ear pad when i put the helmet down for a few minutes, then wear it and feel the eff-er crawling around on my ear. As for the winter, I had considered getting a full-faced myself, but i dont do much winter riding as it is.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Full Face Helmet for me.

I tried the 1/2 face for 3 years. Never really bonded with them and I tried 3 different 1/2 size helmets. Never found a good set of sunglass's to keep the wind out of me eyes and I hated the bugs and rocks flying up on my face.

Then one day a friend of mine got in a accident and needed 76 stitches to his face. At that point I gave up and bought a good Full Face. That's what I rode with when I was a kid and I feel more comfy with one. Yup I'm anti Harley when it comes to a helmet and I could care less cause that's what I like.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ot-helmet.html

Here ya go, enjoy that thread, it pretty much answers most of everything.

I started with a 1/2 helmet, it was nice.. now i wear a RockHard 3/4 helmet which is just amazing (except when an ant gets in my ear pad when i put the helmet down for a few minutes, then wear it and feel the eff-er crawling around on my ear. As for the winter, I had considered getting a full-faced myself, but i dont do much winter riding as it is.
Not to laugh but that's funny. You should hand your helmet someplace where there are no ants. Lemon Pledge could be attracting them. LOL

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Greg755
Cruiser

Full face, when I want to cool down or feel some wind I open the visor. I also like the option of having a tinted visor on the bright days...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Cav Cop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bunch of helmets.

I have no windscreen/fairing on my Night Train. I use a half helmet for most short rides. I use a Shoei full face snell rated for longer rides.

I bought a modular and a 3/4 and do not like them for wind/venting/high speeds.

I tried a few full faces and found that for Texas heat the high end Arai and Shoei fit me well, vent very well, along with a great feel at highway speeds, add to that the protection.

I think the full face is best if you ride on a highway with no windscreen. If I had a windscreen I might use a half or 3/4th. I found the modular a waste, from seeing wrecks where the chin bar does nothing, the trim/seal seperating and causing more sound to get in, to not using the flip lid and the visior orked just as good.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use both full and 1/2 helmets. I use the full for cold weather/ known rain days and half for all other. Used to use none till I found the outlaw 1/2. I think the best is the one that YOU feel comfortable in.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a full face for rain or cold, a half DOT for going into helmet states, a half non-DOT for when I just need to keep off sun or a little protection here in KY. But I can't find any use for a 3/4, except to scoop in bees.

Quick Reply: Helmets, 3/4, half or full... Which is better?