Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 softail with cv carb running horrible at low idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
ashinc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 softail with cv carb running horrible at low idle

First time forum user here. I am mechanically inclined though, I just replaced the stator, rotor and voltage regulator because the bike wasn't holding a charge under power, that fixed that issue but now I have a new one. I've got an 87 softail with 1340 evo and a cv carb. Bike ran fine all weekend until my way home ( about 5 mile ride). It idled fine at stop lights but when I went to take off from the light the engine seemed like it was missing until I got hard on the throttle. Shifting through the gears was fine if I would really give it gas but at cruising just trying to maintain a constant speed it would spudder and sometimes burp through the carb. When I got home I noticed that the bolts the hold the carb/air cleaner assembly to the block had rattled loose. I assumed the carb didn't have a good seal and was sucking air so I went to tighten them down and realized they were stripped. I got the tap kit out and retapped the holes and got the next size up bolt and it snugged up good. Went to take for test ride and is running worse then ever now. At low throttle sounds like it's running on one cylinder and stalls at a stop through my sub. I limped onto the main road and does the same thing at low throttle but if I gas it, the bike takes off like she should. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Since your are new. First off Welcome to the forum!

You may not know this but we have an EVO section just for these types of questions plus a search there may provide the answer. I still have the butteryfly carb so I can't much of a help! Does sound like a intake leak. Did you try the propane/spraying carb cleaner around the intake seals too get it to run better?

Last edited by oppirs; 07-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:53 AM
ashinc
1st Gear

I'm sorry about posting in the wrong spot, this is my first time using a forum at all. I did not try the propane test yet. Should I move this question to the other section?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

yup im guessing air leak as well. also make sure the carb is seated on the rubber doughnut good also.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by the blob
yup im guessing air leak as well. also make sure the carb is seated on the rubber doughnut good also.
Agreed! If you don't find any manifold leaks, my next choice of options would be picking up a Carb rebuild kit. Cheap to buy & easy to rebuild. Best of luck on that

Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM
ashinc
1st Gear

Thanks for the responses guys. Pulled the carb back off yesterday and found that the rubber boot on the intake manifold was not seated all the way. I reseated it and put the carb back together and she ran like a rapped ape.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome bud good for you!