Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo/ "Fees"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Pezzy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy Lo/ "Fees"

Hey everyone.

I had posted here not too long ago; I'm new to this web site/ forum, and, new to Harley's in-general. Here's the thread if you want to see:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...new-to-hd.html

I came across a 2011 Fat Boy Lo, previously owned. I inquired and found out that it's all stock, no customs put on. The dealer claims it's in "mint" condition; it has almost 9,000 miles on it.

They're asking $16,885 for it.

The MSRP on a NEW 2011 Fat Boy Lo is $16,299.

I realize that the letter "S" in MSRP stands for "Suggested", and that they (the dealers) don't have to go by it, but,........

I e-mailed the dealer and emphasized the fact that this bike is used and has almost a year's worth of driving miles on it. And, just like any vehicle, as soon as it's purchased and driven off the lot it goes down in value (meaning, whoever put these 9,000 miles on it).

The dealer just came back with, Harley's hold their value well.

But still.....a new 2011 stock Fat Boy Lo's MSRP is $16,299, and this previously owned 2011 stock (with almost 9,000 miles) is going for $16,885??

They're asking above MSRP and it's used with many miles on it?

Here's a link for it:

http://www.arrowheadharley.com/new_v...03&pov=2192720

And while I'm here:

When closing a deal at a dealership and filling out the final paperwork, there are those "fees" tacked on in addition to the sticker price: sales tax, title & tags, documentation fee.

I've read here on these forums that there are some "BS" fees out there to try to avoid if you can; some examples are:
Shipping fee
Assembly fee
Dealer prep fee

Even on a new bike, I agree that these are BS fees. But, on a used/ previously owned bike, do shipping and assembly fees even apply??

Thanks for any tips and advice. I don't want to be "taken for a ride" in the negative context, if you know what I mean.
Pez

Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Pezzy
Hey everyone.

I had posted here not too long ago; I'm new to this web site/ forum, and, new to Harley's in-general. Here's the thread if you want to see:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...new-to-hd.html

I came across a 2011 Fat Boy Lo, previously owned. I inquired and found out that it's all stock, no customs put on. The dealer claims it's in "mint" condition; it has almost 9,000 miles on it.

(Translation: Dealer wants a MINT for it.)

They're asking $16,885 for it.

The MSRP on a NEW 2011 Fat Boy Lo is $16,299.

I realize that the letter "S" in MSRP stands for "Suggested", and that they (the dealers) don't have to go by it, but,........

I e-mailed the dealer and emphasized the fact that this bike is used and has almost a year's worth of driving miles on it. And, just like any vehicle, as soon as it's purchased and driven off the lot it goes down in value (meaning, whoever put these 9,000 miles on it).

The dealer just came back with, Harley's hold their value well.

(Translation: Greedy dealers are able to hold on to their used bikes well)

But still.....a new 2011 stock Fat Boy Lo's MSRP is $16,299, and this previously owned 2011 stock (with almost 9,000 miles) is going for $16,885??

They're asking above MSRP and it's used with many miles on it?

Here's a link for it:

http://www.arrowheadharley.com/new_v...03&pov=2192720

And while I'm here:

When closing a deal at a dealership and filling out the final paperwork, there are those "fees" tacked on in addition to the sticker price: sales tax, title & tags, documentation fee.

I've read here on these forums that there are some "BS" fees out there to try to avoid if you can; some examples are:
Shipping fee
Assembly fee
Dealer prep fee

Even on a new bike, I agree that these are BS fees. But, on a used/ previously owned bike, do shipping and assembly fees even apply??

Thanks for any tips and advice. I don't want to be "taken for a ride" in the negative context, if you know what I mean.
Pez
Don't you know that when a HD dealer takes in a traded used bike, they disassemble each and every component down to the clips on the wrist pins and refurbish them? Even the air in the tires is refreshed. So there must be an assembly fee.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 PM
SkinnyonFatboyLo
Cruiser

I would say go with a new 2011. Chances are you will not be able to talk them down as much on the used as you would a new as far as possible fees taken off or them giving you some HD product credits or service credit. Also the warranty can help out on a new.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinnyonFatboyLo
I would say go with a new 2011. Chances are you will not be able to talk them down as much on the used as you would a new as far as possible fees taken off or them giving you some HD product credits or service credit. Also the warranty can help out on a new.

...Make that 2012, I'd say...

Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
82ndABN
Outstanding HDF Member

Get a new bike.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

For over retail get a brand new one. Go in, offer them what you think is fair and they don't take go to another dealer. Let them know you are going to another dealer and see what they say then.

Drew

Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my Deluxe, brand new, the MSRP was $17,345. I got it out the door (taxes & license included)for $18k. They waived all the setup and dealer fees, and still gave me a discount. That was before the economy took a dump.

But as you said, $16,885 is only their asking price. Make an offer based on what the market for this bike is in your area. If they don't take it there's still dealers out there who want to sell their bikes, find one.