Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM
diannes
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told 4" pull back risers will not work on an 2011 Heritage - the most would be 2". My previous bike was a 2007 Deluxe and I had the bars changed on that bike as they were to wide and too low (almost like beach bars). I find the Heritage bars to be the opposite - too high and too wide. When making a tight slow turn it is all I can do to hold onto the bars as they are so far out there. I have turned the bars toward me to get them closer and lower but then the wrist angle is bad. Have been to the local Harley dealer and they didn't have much in stock so maybe I'll try another couple of dealers. I am really afraid of spending the money and finding it either did not solve the problem or created another problem. Handlebars and seats are the most important to get that perfect fit so you can ride for hours. I actually am one of the few that finds my Heritge seat to be VERY comfortable (just a bit too far back). Harley sells a seat that moves you closer and lower but to me it doesn't suit the Heritage. So.... was hoping someone had a suggestion for bars that are somewhere between the low of the Deluxe & the high of the Heritage and not as wide. Thanks again for all your replies.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be surprised if you find what you need at a HD dealer. They have a limited offering and none of them are likely to give you both the pb and narrow grip you're looking for. I found my perfect solution was Wild 1 518s (RKIIs) with Deluxe risers. Never thought I needed 16" of pb but after putting that combo on my wife's Deluxe I became a believer. No more back and shoulder pain. The downside of all that pb is that the grips are angled back and it takes some getting used to, especially if you have wrist flexibility issues. And based on what you said about preferring a more narrow bar, the bar width of 36" would probably be too much for you. My wife is 5'6" and she has no issues with the width. Says the bike is actually easier to maneuver with them.

IMO, a narrow bar with good pullback and grip angle requires one to go to an ape style bar. The Wild 1 502s were my second choice. They provide decent pb at 12", are relatively narrow (32"?) and have a good grip angle. I sat on a Heritage mounted with these bars and found it be very comfortable. Almost went with them but I prefer a cruiser style bar and needed more pb.

You may want to call wild1 customer service and see what suggestions they have. You may also find their website helpful.

I know it's a big expense to have bars put on. But if you're otherwise happy with your Heritage the extra comfort and safety you gain from the proper fitting bars will be money well spent. I wish I had changed mine out two years earlier.

Before laying out the money just make sure you do your research and ideally find a bike with the bars you want and try them out for feel.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by diannes
I was told 4" pull back risers will not work on an 2011 Heritage - the most would be 2".
They're feeding you bullshit. I had them on my '11 Heritage and they worked just fine. I've included a couple of pics.
You might also give the guys at Mean City Cycles a call. They can modify your stock seat to your specifications. Good folks who do great work.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions-100_1557.jpg   2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions-100_1558.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Maybe install the riser and bar off the Deluxe. Cable changes shouldn't be necessary...
That was my thought exactly. The Deluxe feels good. My FatBoy was too far forward so I put on the 4" Pullback risers, which I believe are identical to Deluxe Risers. Now I like them.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
JimmyC
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i am new to the whole forum thing, but I have an 02 heritage and I put on a set of Chubby 16" on mine. I read someone had a set of 14s on theirs. Cool thing with the Apes is you can adjust to fit. I put over 10k miles on her this summer. Total comfort. Hope you find what works for you

Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
pepper lynn
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 04 heritage it had beach bars which were to wide and forward for me. It didn't take too long before I found a set of OEM bars and switched up the bars only to find them still too forward for comfort. So I tried pulling them back, no risers, to where I found my comfort zone and viola, perfection. Been riding with them for the last two years and don't intend on making any changes.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Ive said this many times in here.

Get on Ur bike and get comfy while some one else holds it upright.

put Ur feet on the board and with Ur eyes closed reach to where U feel right..

then measure the height and forward position of Ur hands.

this will get U close to then find the bars that match Ur measurements.