Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:21 AM
diannes
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions

I am looking to replace the handlebars on my Heritage. I have tried rolling them forward but find it uncomfortable on the wrists. When they are in a higher position my arms are too straight. Not sure if I should change the seat (to move me closer to the bars) , change the bars or add pull-back risers (they only add 2"). Any suggestions on a replacement handlebar that is not as wide or high as the stock bars?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

What is it you are trying to achieve with new bars? It sound like you want to have the bars closer to you? How much closer? Higher? Lower? Same height?

Drew

Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This winter I am installing the 4" risers on mine to see if I can get them a bit closer to me. I only need an inch or so ... One of the drawbacks of being short....!

Worried about the front brake line though. Dont want to have to replace it just to change risers.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 PM
nuklhd
Advanced

I put a set of risers off a deluxe on my 2011 and it brought the bars closer and up (5'-9"), I tried the riser on and off a few different time and decided it was way more comfortable with them on. Got them off ebay for $60 bucks and only takes about 10 -15 minutes to install or remove.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions-2011-09-13_15-31-15_15.jpg  
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I am 5'8" and I have a 08 Heritage. The stock bars killed me. I started with the 4" pull back risers to get a feel since I could accomplish this without new cables.

I very quickly went with 14" Wild One Chubby's. I absolutely love the way these bars feel. Hands are at shoulder height and pull back is perfect even with them pushed a little forward of the fork rake.

I was able to find the bars, Clutch and throttle cable from another board member but if you are purchasing new you are looking at:
~$215.00 for the bars
~$100.00 for Barnett +6 throttle cables
~$70.00 for Barnett +6 Clutch cable
~$95.00 for +6 Brake line.
~$25.00 for +8 wire extension kit.

You may find better prices if you look around but this should be a good budget figure.

I did the work myself and took my time and was finished in a couple of night. (~6 hours total)

Take your time and do it yourself. You will save a boatload and have some fun working on your bike.

A couple of thing to remember if you do it yourself.

1. Cardboard shim in the brake lever before removing from handle bar (keeps you from having to replace the front brake switch)
  2. If you have to slide your tank back to get to the wiring harnesses make sure you cover the engines chrome heads or you will surely scratch the front one on the fuel tank crossover tube.
  3. Make sure to cover the tank and from fender with a towel or blanket to avoid scratches from dropped tools etc.
  4. Leave towels on while bleeding front brake after installing new brake line.
  5. I was able to gravity bleed my brakes but it took some time. After you get the fluid down to the caliper fill the reservoir and leave the top off for a few hours.
  6. Go ahead and drain the transmission oil before you install the new clutch cable. Make sure you pay attention to how the Clutch ramp and ball bearing go together and refill the transmission after installing the clutch cable and before starting bike
Good luck

Last edited by jdunn01; 10-24-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
diannes
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your replies. I am trying to achieve getting closer to the bars (my arms are just too straight right now). I don't want them higher as the stock bars on the 2011 are already fairly high. Would like at least 2" and 4" would be perfect. Not wanting to spend a lot without knowing the end result will be perfect. As for doing the work myself - that's not possible - being female I am challenged in the garage area.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 599 Posts

Maybe install the riser and bar off the Deluxe. Cable changes shouldn't be necessary...

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
shitbox
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put a set of pullback risers and handlebars off of a 2009 Deluxe on my wife's Heritage. She really likes them and has no more back pain after riding. Maybe you should go to your dealer and sit on a Deluxe to get a feel for the bars so you don't wast any money buying something and not liking it.
Good luck !!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Leech1107
Tourer

4" pullback risers will help and no cable or line changes. See if your local HD dealer does fit shop so you can try different configurations. Another option is to get a different seat that moves you closer to the bars.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
CB1
Tourer

I just put Krome Werks wide sweeper bars on mine (300501). Had a set of narrow sweepers on my Dyna and really liked them. I don't have these rotated back as much as I did on my Dyna but if you do it brings them back to you and are still real comfortable. I also have a set of HD 4" pb risers in the garage if interested.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions-imag0153.jpg   2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions-imag0155.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2011 Heritage - Handlebar Suggestions