Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on oil leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.georges-garage.com/trans_pre_o7.htm

In my opinion, Georges tools are top shelf stuff. 620080 install tool will get the seal installed square and at the correct depth, or you can manufacture a tool if you have the resources.
Not sure if you have the race tool or not, but it works pretty slick. I realize the cost of tools to do the job properly could get up there, but I have grown to appreciate using tools that work. You could easily sell them after you are done.

As far as removing the seal, 'picking' them out is the only real way to get at it...the last time I had one out was during a trans overhaul so the mainshaft was already out.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by gforrest2
I've got a leak too. Started a thread on this when I first got the bike in '09. I think it's the seal on the main shaft that the pulley connects too. I'm not so handy with tools and have been quoted $300 to $700 to fix. So I've learned to live with it. I leaks about a quart during our short riding season. I add a few ounces once a month and have a little drip pan in my garage. It will do about a half dozen drops before the oil cools down and then it stops dripping. Reading over the posts in this thread, I know I can't fix this on my own. Here's to you for your skill and persistence on fixing your leak.
Are you adding fluid to the primary or the gear box?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by o/d
how about the install of the seal - is that a battle too? it looks like i'm going to find out. i can't bring myself to not replace this seal at this point.
You are making the right decision to replace the seal. I have never used the installation tool to install a seal and, touch wood, have never had one leak. I have several pieces of PVC of different lengths and diameters that I have used to install seals. Not saying my way is better, just saying that's how I do it. The seal install is easy, just take your time.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

waiting for these items. the seller of the race removal/install tool is the same guy i bought my cam bearing tools from a couple of years ago.

should have everything i need on it's way. then it's time to put humpty dumpty back together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270871541818...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290596334959...84.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220479434097...84.m1497.l2649

here's what my starter looked like. not sure how bad this actually is, but thought the rebuild kit was a good idea for the money.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

How is the repair coming along?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
How is the repair coming along?
still waiting on the race & spacer.
ordered from local dealer 3/5 & still not in yet. was told a week.

got the race removal/install tool.
no problems getting the race off. pulling the mainshaft/5th gear seal took more time then the race.

installed new mainshaft/5th gear seal.
removed & installed new inner primary bearing. focked up inner primary seal install by installing it backwards.
it was a revised version of the oem. i didn't see the "oil side" marking until i had it installed. gonna get another one...

let me know if i'm posting too many pictures. i don;t know how to do the thumbnail deal.

what i used to remove & install inner primary bearing. 3/8"-16 threaded rod & a socket, angle iron & some wood. worked with what i had on hand.
3/8"-24 rod would have been better.

i improvised with the race install tool & some pvc to install mainshaft/5th gear seal. hope it went well.

shot of the tools, the removed race & the munched seal.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Looks like you are sneaking up on it! I like your field expedient mainshaft/5th gear install tool; I just tap them in with a shop hammer!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Shift shaft replacement is labor intensive if the same as my 84 5 speed. Had to remove the gear cluster if my memory serves me right. The spring on the shift pawl broke and turned into a weekend project to get it all apartand back together. Would have to be a serious leak for me to replace but your 3/4's of the way there.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
When you install the race, heat it up in the oven for a while and use the green loctite. I have seen pullers on Ebay for $65 and puller/installer for about $80. Not high quality machine tools but they will get the job done.
i tried a few places today & no luck on the green locktite.

i knew this was gonna be a problem & i'm kicking myself for not ordering this in advance.
i ordered some from a local place today, but won't see it until monday.

i'm guessing the high strength red thread locker won't cut it for this?

i finally got the race & spacer. cancelled my order for store credit & picked them up from another dealer.

3/26/12 - i got the green lock tite.
i didn't realize it's the penetrating type until now.

now i understand why the green - as the pre applied stuff would just get wiped or pushed out by the press fit.

Last edited by o/d; 03-26-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM
BigAlC
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any tips on installing the main drive oil seal and spacer? I am having trouble installing the spacer without damaging the seal.

Quick Reply: opinions on oil leak repair