Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on oil leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAlC
Do you have any tips on installing the main drive oil seal and spacer? I am having trouble installing the spacer without damaging the seal.
i just pushed the spacer in with fingers.
seal went in by hand too.

i did coat them with a light coat of oil prior installing.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
BigAlC
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I tried the same with no luck. When I try to insert the spacer the lip of the seal folds in and there is not enough room. The lip ends up tearing. Guess I will try a new spacer. Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
o/d
Tourer

possibly a burr or raised edge on the spacer.

i installed a new spacer. but i did re-install the old seal & spacer while working on the bike to keep debris out of there - no problems at all.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 PM
o/d
Tourer

dumb question
should the stator be completely dry?

i'm pretty sure it should. but there's some oil under the rotor & in the heads of the stator mounting bolts.

i guess i need to replace that seal & spacer too?

i was just going to install the inner primary & now i'm not sure if i should replace these parts or not.

edit - i now realize this was a dumb question...

Last edited by o/d; 03-31-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
o/d
Tourer

rode it to work this morning.
so far i don't see any oil dripping anywhere(knock on wood).
will have a better look later.

time will tell if rebuilding the starter will stop me from going through starter relays.

thanks to all that replied - especially djl - you were a big help. i really appreciate it.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by o/d
rode it to work this morning.
so far i don't see any oil dripping anywhere(knock on wood).
will have a better look later.

time will tell if rebuilding the starter will stop me from going through starter relays.

thanks to all that replied - especially djl - you were a big help. i really appreciate it.
Been off line for a while; had to dig to find your last post. Glad to hear the project has come to a successful completion.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I'm sure glad I found this thread, I know I'm making the right choice calling the shop tomorrow to make an appt to have mine fixed. I'm a professional mechanic, but between working a lot of over time, not having any of these special tools, and it being an awesome riding season, I'd rather bite the bullet and pay more to know its done right and a lot faster than I could do it. Not to mention, I'd rather practice and learn on something like my old 90 sporty, not my $15k baby! I was just going to let it go until winter, but I just bought a swingarm bag and don't want it covered in oil after a week.

Originally Posted by gforrest2
have been quoted $300 to $700 to fix
What parts were being replaced in those quotes? Every seal back there for $700?

How often do you guys replace drive belts? My bike is an 07 with less than 16k miles on it on the factory belt as far as I know. (I bought it with 5k miles in 2010) Replace it while it'll be in the shop, or do I probably have a few more seasons left on it?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by sixshooter
how often do you guys replace drive belts? My bike is an 07 with less than 16k miles on it on the factory belt as far as I know. (I bought it with 5k miles in 2010) Replace it while it'll be in the shop, or do I probably have a few more seasons left on it?
i thought about replacing my belt when i had it apart, but decided not to based on it's condition visually. belt has a little over 56k on it now.

my '02 has a wider belt than your bike - not sure if that equates to a longer lasting belt or not tho.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the older softails had the skinnier belts? When I was looking into doin a 200mm rear, I was going to have to get a skinnier belt off an 06-older Softail and change pulley because I have the fatter belt, if I recall.

Anyways, called the dealer today, they said as long as its just seals that are being replaced, 4 hours labor plus parts. So should be less than 500 bucks and only a few days down time, which I'm happy with.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Just Don
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nut Locking Plate

Anyone else notice the main gear nut is not secured by the locking plate??

Quick Reply: opinions on oil leak repair