Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need the back brace on the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 PM
socal714guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you need the back brace on the exhaust?

So i changed my pipes from the drag pipes to a mid length pipe. I installed them with out the back bracket, the holes where not lining up. They seem really soild and there is no real movement back there. Is it safe to leave it that way? Will it cause damage later on? I will post Pics tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by socal714guy
So i changed my pipes from the drag pipes to a mid length pipe. I installed them with out the back bracket, the holes where not lining up. They seem really soild and there is no real movement back there. Is it safe to leave it that way? Will it cause damage later on? I will post Pics tomorrow.
Well that might depend on what else is holding them on. Besides the headers being held in place by the flange bolts, what other mounting points are there? What pipes are they? Knowing what exhaust (manufacturer and model) and what your bike is may help folks give you better advice. I always think of it this way, manufacturers design their products the way they do for a reason. If its a reputable company they have probably put time into testing their product and have included the parts they did because they determined its what works best. That said, one can usually tell if there are alternatives to making something work. The other thing I would bare in mind is why do they not line up? Is it because the pipes are not designed for your bike or maybe something else is off besides the rear bracket not lining up.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I wouldn't rely on just the head connection to support the entire length of the pipe. They might seem solid, but any vibration/movement will be magnified by the lever effect. Then you'll be replacing jugs when the flange bolts tear out or break. Always best to loosely attach the pipes to the heads, align and snug up the rear bracket, then torque the head connection. Worst case, just ream out the holes on the bracket.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
socal714guy
Tourer

Its an 06 fatboy with scream eagle pipes. I have attached a PIC of them on. I might make a bracket at work just to help support the back end of the pipes. My sig pic was the bike before.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Gotcha! I should have realized it was that Fatboy in your sig pic. Those pipes look like the V&H Double Barrel Staggered. If so, based on the instructions from Vance and Hines, there is only one mounting bracket that holds the exhaust besides the flange nuts that hold the headers at the ports. If this is true and this is in fact the system you have then YES, you need to try to get that rear bracket installed or make one as you said. They may feel solid to your hand but when you are going down the road and start hitting bumps the weight of the exhaust bearing on just the flange bolts will probably cause them to eventually bend/break. Definitely get that support installed if you want to make sure your pipes or you jugs don't end up needing more expensive repair.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would probably want them pinned in the rear. IMHO vibration and flexing will eventually wear on the head connection/bolts.

I love those wheels!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sampson pipes came with the wrong instructions. For black pipes they said to use the bracket in one position (that didn't work), but with the same pipes in chrome use the bracket in a different position that did work. When I wrote them about it, they just said "glad you figured it out"!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
socal714guy
Tourer

Originally Posted by mac1911
I would probably want them pinned in the rear. IMHO vibration and flexing will eventually wear on the head connection/bolts.

I love those wheels!
I love those wheels too, just a pain in the butt to clean!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM
socal714guy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Gotcha! I should have realized it was that Fatboy in your sig pic. Those pipes look like the V&H Double Barrel Staggered. If so, based on the instructions from Vance and Hines, there is only one mounting bracket that holds the exhaust besides the flange nuts that hold the headers at the ports. If this is true and this is in fact the system you have then YES, you need to try to get that rear bracket installed or make one as you said. They may feel solid to your hand but when you are going down the road and start hitting bumps the weight of the exhaust bearing on just the flange bolts will probably cause them to eventually bend/break. Definitely get that support installed if you want to make sure your pipes or you jugs don't end up needing more expensive repair.
Thanks for you help!