Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously frustrated, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

According to my wiring diagram (for an 07) the orange w/white stripe is for the turn signal.
Its not hard to replace and the pins are available at a dealer or electronics supply (Radio Shack maybe) store.
The only thing that would make things hard is that you really need a special crimping tool for them.
If you look through the DIY thread in the Dyna section Mud has a posting in there showing how to make one that might be helpful out of a common set of side cutters or dikes.
Here's a link to it for anyone interested in making one of their own.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post3061604

Good Luck with the rewire of the bars, just stick with it and don't give up.
Yes it can be a pain in the butt, but if we did it you can too.
You just need to take your time and be a little patient.

PS the easiest away I have ever heard to get the wires through was to use some string and a vacuum cleaner.
Suck the string through with the vacuum and use it to pull the wires through.
You can do them a couple at a time or stagger the ends if doing all of them at once is too much for the turns.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 03-25-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 AM
theidbreder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut those stupid clips off, strip the wires and solder. That will save a ton of frustration!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,505 Likes on 2,484 Posts

I did a bar swap on my SuperGlide Custom--went from stock to low rise drags & 6" risers.Total time start to finish was 45 minutes. Only problem was I busted the little ground wire that goes from the riser bolt to the triple tree--local guy had to make one up for me--no charge. But, I was able to do this swap painlessly 'cause I didn't run the wires inside the bars--that would've taken me 2 weeks.I actually like the look of the wires outside the bars; don't like hiding functional stuff, & the PITA ain't worth it. But that's just me.

I remember swapping bars on my rice back in the day. Honda was running wires in the bars 40 years ago. Went from stock to apes on my CB750; whatta friggin' PITA to do THAT job. Kawi & Yam ran the wires outside, I think, 'cause it was easy to go from stock to Clubmans in a few minutes. Here's a pic of said bikes.

Attached Thumbnails Seriously frustrated, need help.-dickey77.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Yep, as most suggested...take a break then come back and slow down, patience is key. Lots of videos out there to walk you thru it little brother but they dont tell you to take your time. BR has quite a few useful videos not to mention youtube. Luck to ya

Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I only pull a couple wires at a time thru makes easier

Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, throw a cover over your bike and walk away. Read a few of these guys on here suggestions and when you feel you are ready have at it again. I am by NO means an ace bike mechanic but if it gives you the ***** it will be just that much more rewarding when you beat it and get er done! No one knows you like you though. If you feel that you are just at the point and going to create more headaches then there is no shame in going somewhere for help. I know my limitations, abilities and skill level. If I am in over my head I take it to get it done and done properly because I have sat on the side of the road many times due to trying to do more then I was capable of. Its odd, the older I get the easier it gets to ask for help. I guess I just don't have the patiance anymore as an old man. I just don't have the time and patiance anymore to fight a loosing battle!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
timbo1754
5th Gear

coat tham down with dawn dish washing liquid and as you feed them through spray a little water on them should slide right through

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot what I wanted to reply as I got hung up at ghostrider69's avitar.... oh, ya, now I remember, just don't give up, you can do it.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wanna feel better bout yer situation? its been 80 in chicago for last 2 weeks
i have no exhaust( sold to another member before fit custom pipes) DOH!
they dont fit ***** &*^%$#!!! ,

got jockey shift that did not fit, custom made bracket drilled 3 hole done
got shift *** DID NOT FIT ***** *&^%^%$*%##!

did my ape hangers 2x both times F"D up but rode any way
last time i really screwed somethin up every time turned hard right bike died OOOPS!

i used electricians lube worked good, BNR custom cycles has many video's on how to wiring, i used them very good. the sodering is a good idea at your point, DONT GIVE UP
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Last edited by m i k e; 03-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser

I used speaker wire to run it through. Used electrical tape abour 3-4" above the connectors and a small peace of at the connectors so they would follow the route with the wire. I pulled at the bottom and pushed the wire at the top at the same time. Doing this helped the wire get through easier without having to pull to hard. I did put the tape on pretty tight.

By the way this is my first time doing this too. I had to walk away too because just like you i having a hard time as well. Watched a couple youtube videos did some reading here on forum and went at it again and only took me about 10 minutes 2nd time around.