Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM Body Control Module Problems 2012 Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:00 AM
ecarlito
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After electrical harness replaced, seems to run ok now, so far so good. Wish me luck.
Thanks everyone.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 AM
OceanTwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to add, if changing the harness seemed to do the trick, then it is possible that the issue was actually a bad/loose connector or connection. While a damaged wire in the harness is a possibility (pinched during installation, a poor crimp, etc.) the likely culprit is a poor connection to a sensor, or, as already noted, a bad ground.

Some of the connections are pretty hard to get to, and with all the control modules jammed onto a bike it is like trying to troubleshoot bottled PFM, but it's a relatively inexpensive check requiring just a bit of diligence.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Youngbev
Stage IV

I have a 2012 Deluxe that has 1,500 miles. It is in the shop for the second time with a starting issue. The battery will not hold a charge. I was told the first time that is was my dealer installed HD speakers, second time (2 wks) later I was told it is a faulty BCM.... I have sent a letter to the legal department at HD asking them if they want to go ahead and buy back my Lemon? I think HD is buying cheap parts to improve their bottom line and no regards to their loyal base of Harley owners. It is past time that Harley needs to be called out on selling Lemons...

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Youngbev
Stage IV

Originally Posted by redmosquito1
Just for curiositys sake what is the BCM? Is it only for the ABS/Security system bikes?

I'm just wondering if I need to be concerned or not with my non abs 2012 Deluxe. Thanks
I have already had my 2012 Deluxe in the shop twice know for the BCM... I need one more repair ticket to have another Deluxe lemon. I had a 2009 the had serious electrical issues. Know I am dealing with this crap ready to become a non- Harley owner. I want to ride my bike not constantly have it in the shop for repairs...

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,564 Likes on 5,480 Posts

Originally Posted by ecarlito
I'm beyond mad, just mad laughter maybe. Today speedo came in and it was installed, but has not solved the problem. I have been calling HD customer service and letting them know what's been going on and have been telling them that we're already into the lemon law here that does apply to cycles. About time to do it in writing.
Speedometer is now being replaced. Anyone having similar experiences?
Still no luck. After installing the new ECM, dealer service department says that problem is still there. They will consult with H-D again.
Thanks everyone.
@mswing1234: nice FatBoy. To clarify, the dealer's service department first said the BCM was faulty and needed to be replaced (and maybe it was). Then after experiencing the same problems, they looked at it again and determined with H-D that the ECM needs to be replaced.
At least it's all under warranty, but the bike is only a few months old with only 1,100 miles and has been in the shop for almost 4 weeks now.
I bought a 2012 FatBoy a few months ago with the ABS and security system; and had the engine stalling sometimes; at first the dealer said it was the gear limiter (maybe I had been revving it too high and it was controlling the engine to prevent redlining at 5,400 rpm or so). It happened again a few days ago at lower RPMs less than 3,000; and now they say it's the BCM that has to be replaced, under warranty at least. Not sure if it's the same problem as the 2011 recall; I don't think water got inside of it.
Anyone else seeing this BCM problem for 2012 Harleys?
Haven't seen a recall for it yet.
Mahalo
After waiting for 2.5 weeks to get the correct BCM delivered to the dealer (they sent the wrong part at first), the bike started sputtering, stalling and finally dying on the way home from the dealer, I had to bring it back again. Now they say, after consulting with H-D, that the problem is the Engine Control Module or ECM.
God I love my carb!!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Youngbev
Stage IV

I'm beyond mad, just mad laughter maybe. Today speedo came in and it was installed, but has not solved the problem. I have been calling HD customer service and letting them know what's been going on and have been telling them that we're already into the lemon law here that does apply to cycles. About time to do it in writing.

I live in Texas and there is a lemon law for motorcycles. You need to contact Weisberg & Meyers, LLC Attorneys for Consumers 888-595-9111. They will handle your case for free... Harley Davidson will have to pay the legal fees for you to settle your case.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
finch135
Stage I
Default 2012 Wide Glide

I had the same problem. Blown tail lights, Blown headlights, Motor cutting out and stopped running. Took it in multiple times and each time they said nothing wrong. Then they found a short in the wiring and after fixing that, they guaranteed it was fixed. Started the same thing again. Only after one of their mechanics got stranded on the side of the road, did they take me seriously and found out the ECM is bad. That is what they said Harley Davidson told them. They are going to overnight one and put it in tomorrow. Hopefully, the problem will be solved. I am of the opinion that the short went on so long that the ECM got fried. But, that's just my opinion.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Same thing just happened to me with the BCM.... it kills power going to the fuel pump... urgh... I had to bypass it with a switch until I take it to the dealer..

Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 AM
L8ter
Stage II
Default 2012 Softail issue

Hi guys, I have a 2012 Softail Heritage with only 4,500 km on it (In Australia)
It has developed a problem with the security system. When riding, the red dash security system light stays on and when bike is switched off and security system arms, the tail light stays on running the battery flat.
Taking it to HD Dealer tomorrow
I will keep you posted.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by poppavein
Nope. Just sounds like bad luck, assuming your mechanic is competent ...
DING,,, DING,, DING... maybe we have a winner....

IMO 50% or more of the problems we have with our new bikes are with the Techs we have working on them....

ON any new bike having an issue..WE are at their mercy.

I am so glad we have one of the best Wrench's in our state working at our dealership....

Quick Reply: BCM Body Control Module Problems 2012 Softail?