Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM Body Control Module Problems 2012 Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 AM
ecarlito
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM Body Control Module Problems 2012 Softail?

I bought a 2012 FatBoy a few months ago with the ABS and security system; and had the engine stalling sometimes; at first the dealer said it was the gear limiter (maybe I had been revving it too high and it was controlling the engine to prevent redlining at 5,400 rpm or so). It happened again a few days ago at lower RPMs less than 3,000; and now they say it's the BCM that has to be replaced, under warranty at least. Not sure if it's the same problem as the 2011 recall; I don't think water got inside of it.
Anyone else seeing this BCM problem for 2012 Harleys?
Haven't seen a recall for it yet.
Mahalo

Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you keep your receipts in case it fails again. My brother and I have both had serious issues like this happen again after being fixed on warranty...duh, they put the same low spec parts in again and low and behold...it fails again. For my brother, 3 times going into the engine before the issue is bearable...not solved, bearable...what was funny, kinda, was them telling him their was never any noise from the motor AFTER THEY ALREADY TRIED TO FIX IT TWICE WITHOUT QUESTION...and the noise was still there...for me, warranty repair failed and did 1200 bucks damage to the bike (and I almost crashed at 65 mph...), which they said was my problem...NOT! They fixed it but had to be PUSHED HARD to do the right thing...If they really cared about their customers, they would not pull this do-do with them on a constant basis. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Rustyteeth
Stage I

Got a 2012 Blacklne in january. A few weeks ago i had issues with my right rear turn signal burning out got the bulb replaced, happened again yesterday did the bulb thing again. Then both blew took it back to the dealer today and come to find out my BCM is going bad. Any word on if this the same kinda thing from lastyear.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 PM
DocRed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rustyteeth
Got a 2012 Blacklne in january. A few weeks ago i had issues with my right rear turn signal burning out got the bulb replaced, happened again yesterday did the bulb thing again. Then both blew took it back to the dealer today and come to find out my BCM is going bad. Any word on if this the same kinda thing from lastyear.
I have had the same problem on my 2012 Blackline, right rear turn signal blew 3 times in less than a week, happened after rain not too long after I bought it. Haven't had a problem since the last change about 3,000 ago.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 AM
ecarlito
Novice

After waiting for 2.5 weeks to get the correct BCM delivered to the dealer (they sent the wrong part at first), the bike started sputtering, stalling and finally dying on the way home from the dealer, I had to bring it back again. Now they say, after consulting with H-D, that the problem is the Engine Control Module or ECM.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love technology, BCMs on any vehicles are sh^t. Just cost saving measures for the companies as they can use smaller gauge wiring. Moves like this just hurts their reputations. It's one thing on a 4 wheeled vehicle, but on a bike, I know I wouldn't want a stalling engine, headlight going out, or brake light being out because of a failing module, all which could lead to a crash because the moco is saving a few dollars. We have a Ford that would run and drive but no power accessories or lights worked because of the BCM glitched. Unless you have got extended warranty, I wouldn't want to replace and have the BCM reflashed under my own pocket. It was $700 at the dealer for the Ford. If HD is the same, the BCM has to be VIN matched (dealer only item), and reprogrammed for it to work.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ecarlito
After waiting for 2.5 weeks to get the correct BCM delivered to the dealer (they sent the wrong part at first), the bike started sputtering, stalling and finally dying on the way home from the dealer, I had to bring it back again. Now they say, after consulting with H-D, that the problem is the Engine Control Module or ECM.
Body Control Module ? The ECM is the engine management brain. I'm surprised the H-D mechanic didn't mention that.

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 PM
ecarlito
Novice
Angry ECM blues

Thanks everyone.
@mswing1234: nice FatBoy. To clarify, the dealer's service department first said the BCM was faulty and needed to be replaced (and maybe it was). Then after experiencing the same problems, they looked at it again and determined with H-D that the ECM needs to be replaced.
At least it's all under warranty, but the bike is only a few months old with only 1,100 miles and has been in the shop for almost 4 weeks now.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ecarlito
Thanks everyone.
@mswing1234: nice FatBoy. To clarify, the dealer's service department first said the BCM was faulty and needed to be replaced (and maybe it was). Then after experiencing the same problems, they looked at it again and determined with H-D that the ECM needs to be replaced.
At least it's all under warranty, but the bike is only a few months old with only 1,100 miles and has been in the shop for almost 4 weeks now.
Thanks. I was just curious. I would have thought the ECM would have been more the more likely cause. That's great about the warranty but not so much the 4 weeks.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:31 PM
ecarlito
Novice

Still no luck. After installing the new ECM, dealer service department says that problem is still there. They will consult with H-D again.

Quick Reply: BCM Body Control Module Problems 2012 Softail?