Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there no sidestand switch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Jim_bo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is there no sidestand switch??

I have a 2012 Fatboy Lo. This is the first non-dirtbike I have ever owned with no sidestand switch. In other words, if my side stand is down and I put the bike in gear, the bike does not shut down. This made me nervous at first. I knew I was going to have a problem with it. Sure enough, it happened.

I was on a group ride. We were waiting at a pullout for another rider. I was sitting with the bike on the side stand for a while. It was uncomfortable sitting with the bike leaned over, so I stood the bike up while we waited. Sure enough, the person arrived, everyone fired up their bikes and took off. About a half mile up the road, someone pulled up next to me (at 70mph) and pointed at my left foot. When I looked down, I saw my sidestand sticking out!! Put it up quickly and continued on. This happened just before some hard left turns.

You can call me an idiot for taking off with my sidestand down... and you'd probably be right. But this is a safety issue to me. I don't see how the Harley lawyers let this condition exist because it is a product liability case waiting to happen!!

So.... has anyone installed a sidestand switch? If so, I'd love some info on how you did it.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

I don't know... BUT I imagine Most of Us do it "ONCE" after that we make sure its up. Least I know I do it before dropping into first.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"You can call me an idiot for taking off with my sidestand down... and you'd probably be right. But this is a safety issue to me. I don't see how the Harley lawyers let this condition exist because it is a product liability case waiting to happen!!"

We don't need more nanny state legislation.

It's like the old timer used to tell me back in the 60's..."This ain't rocket science, son...it's a Harley..."

Put the kickstand up.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
suiii15
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley is one of the only bikes that doesnt have that nuetral safety switch or a stand switch, you just get used to it.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

There is it just works in reverse order. If you don't put it down and and lay bike over running it turns off. Had a honda that would start in gear.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had a safety switch on mine, don't feel like I need it. I think if you were moving with it down and hit something, it would just push it up for you. You could probably install one yourself if you wanted to. For me, it would be in the trash can with my reflectors and horn.

And they don't have a neutral switch either. Ya just don't start it in gear. It's really not hat hard to figure out.

Last edited by jreichart; 05-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Once saw a guy kick start a bike in gear - funny sh**!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you bring this up...I just won $5 on a bet with an old friend who was visiting that I hadn't seen in years. Well, I didn't take his money, since he was company after all. lol

He has always ridden jap bikes and for some reason he was curious if my Deluxe had a stand switch, which I argued that it did not and that I seen no use for one. He swore up and down that my bike would stall if I had her on the stand and put her in gear. The basis of my argument was that I'd never have a need for a stall switch because I would never ride with my stand down.

It has always just been second nature that when you stand a bike up, the stand goes up with it...I guess I've never thought about what would happen if I didn't, but even back during my drinking days, I never forgot. Now I have seen folks forget to put it down.

Guess the HD lawyers will need to direct HD to do like all companies and put stickers on every functional part so people know what and what not to do??

Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
dparker747
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a European spec Harley...it is mandatory on them.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *night train*

we don't need more nanny state legislation.

It's like the old timer used to tell me back in the 60's..."this ain't rocket science, son...it's a harley..."

put the kickstand up.
amen!

Quick Reply: Why is there no sidestand switch??