Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping sound since cam tensioner shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
ajtaylor812
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chirping sound since cam tensioner shoes

First of all, this forum is great. I've learned a ton here. Thank you.

I have an '04 Heritage I recently replaced the cam chain tensioner shoes on. I learned how to do it from here and all went great.

Since the install, there is an intermittent "chirping" noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the bike but only at certain RPMs. I don't have a tach but speed is not the factor as it pops up in each gear at about the same RPMs. It is where the throttle is barely accelerated. It even sustains at that spot at high or low speeds and goes away if I totally let off the throttle or go beyond that barely throttled point. I cannot recreate it in neutral either. What could it be?

Thank you for any help.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost sounds like and exhaust leak to me. I assume you pullet the front header when you did the tensioners?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

My thought, too.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,618 Posts

You never heard this noise before you changed the cam chain tensioners?

Assuming that you did the tensioner(s) installation correctly the noises that you're hearing may be coming from another source such as the exxhaust gasket as previously mentioned.

Does your bike have the auto tensioner for the primary chain?
If not, you may want to check the primary chain tension.

Any chance that this is just due to the heat and your oil getting hot?

If everything looks OK, then you may want to pull the cover and take a peek a the cam chain tensioners.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM
ajtaylor812
Advanced

Originally Posted by hedgehorn
almost sounds like and exhaust leak to me. I assume you pullet the front header when you did the tensioners?
Yes I pulled the front header. I'll check if it needs tightening.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM
ajtaylor812
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
You never heard this noise before you changed the cam chain tensioners?

Assuming that you did the tensioner(s) installation correctly the noises that you're hearing may be coming from another source such as the exxhaust gasket as previously mentioned.

Does your bike have the auto tensioner for the primary chain?
If not, you may want to check the primary chain tension.

Any chance that this is just due to the heat and your oil getting hot?

If everything looks OK, then you may want to pull the cover and take a peek a the cam chain tensioners.
I don't remember this noise before. My bike does not have the auto tensioner that I know of. I have manually adjust it if needed at service intervals. Its due for a service soon and I will check it. Would that make a sound in the front and high up by the jug? On the oil heat issue, it still does it even when it's just started. It DOES seem a little louder after its been running though. Thank you all for some ideas to check. I'll post results.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ajtaylor812
Yes I pulled the front header. I'll check if it needs tightening.
The exhaust should get new gaskets when you take them off, especially if they have been on the bike for a while. There is a very specific two stage torquing sequence in the shop manual that should be followed to properly and evenly compress the exhaust flange gaskets. Some say that the SE gaskets do a better job.

C#

Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
The exhaust should get new gaskets when you take them off, especially if they have been on the bike for a while. There is a very specific two stage torquing sequence in the shop manual that should be followed to properly and evenly compress the exhaust flange gaskets. Some say that the SE gaskets do a better job.

C#

Just one correction here. The SE gaskets should only be used when the header pipes are changed, and the manufacturer recommends their use. The stock crush gaskets actually seal better and a more forgiving.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
ajtaylor812
Advanced
Default Update

Ok, got the new seal and followed the 2 step process exactly and feel like I got a good even seal. I inspected the old one and looked like it was pinched wrong and there was even some soot in the crack where it pinched bad.

I took it for a spin to work this morning and still heard a little of the "chirping flutter" at the same rpm but a little different and not as sustained. I'm to the point now of thinking was it there and just didn't notice it? You know when you service something or do a mod and then your listening for a weird sound?

I think I'll still ride for a few more days and see if it still stands out. Thank you for your help.

It seems i read somewhere there was something with the clutch that could make this sound too. Anything else to check? I pinpoint the sound right in the center about where the crossover fuel line on the tank is.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM
ajtaylor812
Advanced
Default Today

I don't need to ride anymore . . . . I ran some errands today before coming home. The sound is definitely there. As I shift through the gears, the sound comes and leaves at 20MPH, 30 MPH, 40 MPH, 50 MPH, and 60MPH. I still cannot recreate it sitting still. I listened real well coming home leaning forward and listening to the sides. It is not from the primary chain case or cam chain case. It is right in front. One thing I DO remember is when I did the cam tensioner install, the top end gasket kit came with new breathers. They looked different - no cap on top. The dealership assured me they were the new upgraded breathers. All holes lined up etc. Could they be making a different sound? Also, I notice, where the clamp holds the clutch cable to the frame in front where the adjustment is, the clamp is broken. It's just a plastic clamp I will replace. I doubt that is making the noise but I'm trying to give any information from that area that may help.

AJ

Quick Reply: Chirping sound since cam tensioner shoes