Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What intake to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
WFO FXSTB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What intake to buy????

So i just picked up my new programer at a sturgis sale at my local HD dealer, but i want to put a new air cleaner on it before it goes in and gets strapped to the dyno, i just don't want a nice piece to look at i want to know which ones are the best performance wise. the bike is all stock except V&H's pipes

Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Year and model? What do you plan on doing going forward? Big bore? Intake and pipes only?
Lots of variables, but just about anything will flow better than what comes on them stock, and the throttle body, manifold and heads are the real limiting forces here. The Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather is sposed to be a good unit, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, FuelMoto, The list goes on.

Last edited by QC; 08-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

For performance it is going to be hard to do better than an OUTLAW HiFlow 587.

Almost all after market A/C's are feeding the hot oily air back into the intake. You motor will perform best with cold, dry air.

Plus that oily air will eventually build up carbon on your piston, changing your compression and your tune will no longer be correct.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
WFO FXSTB
Advanced

Yeah in the future i want to also do cams make it atleast a 95, raise compression, aftermarket heads, so i do want the air cleaner to be able to handle that in the future so i don't have to buy another air cleaner later on

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by WFO FXSTB
So i just picked up my new programer at a sturgis sale at my local HD dealer, but i want to put a new air cleaner on it before it goes in and gets strapped to the dyno, i just don't want a nice piece to look at i want to know which ones are the best performance wise. the bike is all stock except V&H's pipes
Originally Posted by machinistmate
Year and model? What do you plan on doing going forward? Big bore? Intake and pipes only?
Lots of variables, but just about anything will flow better than what comes on them stock, and the throttle body, manifold and heads are the real limiting forces here. The Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather is sposed to be a good unit, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, FuelMoto, The list goes on.
Originally Posted by WFO FXSTB
Yeah in the future i want to also do cams make it atleast a 95, raise compression, aftermarket heads, so i do want the air cleaner to be able to handle that in the future so i don't have to buy another air cleaner later on

Year and model for starts would help us formulate an informed opinion.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 PM
WFO FXSTB
Advanced

06 night train

Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, I'm curious... is there really much difference between any decent brand a/c? I would think that as long as it is reasonably unobstructed, and has a good k&n style filter, your bike will never be looking for more air. You can only flow so much air right?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arlen Ness big sucker 2

Old 08-11-2012, 08:01 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

jla: See above. But I am no expert by any stretch the imagination. Did you have head work done when you did your build?

And Kevin at DKCustom: No offense for not putting your product with the others in my previous post. I am running your exhaust inserts.

Last edited by QC; 08-11-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Franks Deuce
Intermediate

I am no expert either nor do I want to put down anyones product but a question for DKCustoms, what makes that AC better than any other. I have a similar one on my bike form HD that I don't particularly care for, looks mostly. The other is the element is not open except to the hot engine. To me something like the SE or similar open forward type of AC's would be better. I just found a Performance Machine FASTAir AC that suits my fancy and to me looks like it would perform great. I used to drag race and think about forced induction with M/C AC's.

Quick Reply: What intake to buy????