Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering kit question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 AM
07ntrain
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default lowering kit question

I want to lower my train and am probably going with the shotgun but the price of the 422's is nice but I'm wondering about scraping the primary and the pipes and if also lowering the front too will in increase the chance of this. I'm 6"4 and 270 lbs, and don't really want to be dragging the bottom of the bike in turns, I'm thinking the shotgun would be better but does anyone else have scraping issues?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For ease of changing ride height the Shotguns are the way to go. If you are just going to set it and forget it the 422's will do a great job. Scraping is not more of a problem unless you are running extremely long pipes. All you are really doing is shortening the suspension travel.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowered mine 2" with bolts in the rear, and 2" in the front with the full progressive kit and Ricor Intiminators. I also jacked up the preload on the rear shocks to keep from bottoming out on big bumps. It's a stiff ride, and big bumps will bounce ya outta the seat a bit, but it's not horrible. I ride pretty aggressive, and have yet to scrape anything.

From what I've read on here, if you lower both the front and rear, it actually decreases your chances of scrapping. The more level the bike sits, the more evenly it leans.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM
rockinred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 07ntrain
I want to lower my train and am probably going with the shotgun but the price of the 422's is nice but I'm wondering about scraping the primary and the pipes and if also lowering the front too will in increase the chance of this. I'm 6"4 and 270 lbs, and don't really want to be dragging the bottom of the bike in turns, I'm thinking the shotgun would be better but does anyone else have scraping issues?
If you lower front and rear you will have to always be aware of certain turns and types of leaning habits. The ride changes a bit. I use to have to keep my heel low pegs/floor boards to gauge how hard I could lean on riding in the mountains and making certain turns. On my current bike I have air and I can go back to fun riding with leaning hard and not worrying about scraping like I use to. In reality it is a huge difference. I slammed my fatboy as low as I could go and while I got use to how to ride it, it did change the ride for me a bit. Wasn't anything I hated, but I did miss leaning hard in turns and the fun that brings in riding. Now I get the best of both worlds with air. It really boils down to budget. If you can afford the air... then do it as a no brainer. If you can't then get the lowering kit, it works too.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 AM
07ntrain
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
If you lower front and rear you will have to always be aware of certain turns and types of leaning habits. The ride changes a bit. I use to have to keep my heel low pegs/floor boards to gauge how hard I could lean on riding in the mountains and making certain turns. On my current bike I have air and I can go back to fun riding with leaning hard and not worrying about scraping like I use to. In reality it is a huge difference. I slammed my fatboy as low as I could go and while I got use to how to ride it, it did change the ride for me a bit. Wasn't anything I hated, but I did miss leaning hard in turns and the fun that brings in riding. Now I get the best of both worlds with air. It really boils down to budget. If you can afford the air... then do it as a no brainer. If you can't then get the lowering kit, it works too.
if I go with air I probably shouldn't lower the front then because if I rsisr the rear for aggressive riding then the front will be lower and handle poorly right? The bike sinks pretty low right now when I sit on it

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scraped constantly with 422's. Since I put the Shotgun on, I just flip a switch if I'm going to ride on twisty roads radians don't worry about it. As far as the front goes, I used the Progressive drop in kit and heavy fork oil. I would like to change to Monotubes someday. If money is a concern, I would go with the $16 eBay lowering bolts and save for Shotgun. I have had all three and there's not much difference between the bolts and the 422's.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 AM
rockinred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 07ntrain
if I go with air I probably shouldn't lower the front then because if I rsisr the rear for aggressive riding then the front will be lower and handle poorly right? The bike sinks pretty low right now when I sit on it
I probably wouldn't lower the front imo. You can probably make due with it tho. Not sure on that one. I like the rear slammed angle look on bikes too with the rear slammed and the front normal. If you are shooting for the total slammed look, I am sure there are plenty riding with front lowered and air on rear. Just don't air it up all the way, but it will give you room to adjust the way you want on the ride.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look of the slammed back and normal front too. I rode mine like that for awhile but ended up putting raked trees on and lowering an inch though. Some guys lower both because they like the look and some say that it makes for better geometry. I wish there was an adjustable front that you could slam while parked just to mix things up a bit.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You get what you pay for. If you go with the shotguns you will never regret it. I dropped my front an inch, pulled the springs and dropped in the progressive gas monotubes and the shotgun on the back. It's a blast to ride and people go wild over it. I was at a biker pig roast sunday and there were at least 100 bikes there. Mine was the center of attention once I pulled in and slammed it as I got off. It looks so cool but besides that I am also all about performance. I have ZERO issues with the way my bike is now set up. If I drag I reach down and pump it up a bit and end of story. I slam it on the highway with just a tad of rebound. I get off at an exit and into town or out on country roads I pump it up as I go. Also, I was once told if you ain't throwin sparks, you ain't ridin!!! I don't subscribe to that theory all the time but I must admit it has happened and it bothers me little or if it does I mearly pump it up a tad. It's all done on the fly, no pre-sets or fooling around. it's pretty much plug and play and adjust it as I go.