Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shaving on Trans Plug - 1k svc approaching!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Metal Shaving on Trans Plug - 1k svc approaching!

I just put new bars on my 2012 Fatboy at 600 miles. I drained the trans fluid entirely and re-filled as I had to pull the clutch cover to install new cable.

The drain plug on the trans has a magnet on it, obvisouly to attract and hold any metal shavings from the internals of transmission.

I completely cleaned all the shaving from the plug, and drove another 160 miles and pulled plug again, this time there were no shavings.

I have my 1,000 mile service coming up here probably th 2nd week of october,

Should I mention to the dealer about the metal shavings? Is this normal? Will the dealer change the trans fluid again? ((heck I just did it 2 times in 2 weeks))

Im new to the whole maintenance side of the bike, and unsure what I should/shouldnt tell dealer? Originally the dealer had told me they will do the first oil change when I bring it in at 1,000 miles, but I have read from other posts in the forum that I should have changed the oil already at 500 mile intervals for the first 2,000 miles...

Someone shed the light on what i really need to do,a dn if I should or should not be worried about the shavings on the trans plugs?

Thanks, Mike

Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 PM
jljeff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my bikes is just like your less the apes. I did the 1000 mile service on it as well as my RG and RK. All three had shavings at 1000 miles. Just barley enough to lightly cover the outer edge of the magnet. Sounds normal. Enjoy...........

Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle240
I just put new bars on my 2012 Fatboy at 600 miles. I drained the trans fluid entirely and re-filled as I had to pull the clutch cover to install new cable.

The drain plug on the trans has a magnet on it, obvisouly to attract and hold any metal shavings from the internals of transmission.

I completely cleaned all the shaving from the plug, and drove another 160 miles and pulled plug again, this time there were no shavings.

I have my 1,000 mile service coming up here probably th 2nd week of october,

Should I mention to the dealer about the metal shavings? Is this normal? Will the dealer change the trans fluid again? ((heck I just did it 2 times in 2 weeks))

Im new to the whole maintenance side of the bike, and unsure what I should/shouldnt tell dealer? Originally the dealer had told me they will do the first oil change when I bring it in at 1,000 miles, but I have read from other posts in the forum that I should have changed the oil already at 500 mile intervals for the first 2,000 miles...

Someone shed the light on what i really need to do,a dn if I should or should not be worried about the shavings on the trans plugs?

Thanks, Mike
In my industry metal shavings are cleaned up before the parts are placed in service, in the automotive/motorcycle world that's not the case. Machined parts are washed, dipped or sprayed but not as well. It is not uncommon to find metal (small particles) on the magnet during the first few fluid changes. I still occasionally see metal powder (very small particulate) on the tranny case drain plug magnet. I have a friend who purchased a set of (after market) rear earth magnets (stronger than HD stock parts) months/thousands of miles after he purchased a new SG and still pulled shavings off the magnet.

You can tell them that you pulled stuff off the magnet, I'm sure they won't be surpised. As for changing your oil.........knock your self out, I change mine (all three holes) every 3,500 mile rain or shine. Small price to pay (if you can do it yourself) to keep your favorite toy running well!

I just finished the 20K mile maintenance schedule on my Fatboy.......took two days and a new socket (didn't have a 15/16th for rear axle) but I'm sure it would have been a small fortune at the dealer.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

That's why they have magnetic drain plugs.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
That's why they have magnetic drain plugs.
Captain Obvious!

No mal intentions Steve! but thanks for the laugh !

Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM
HandleBarLouie
Tourer

Dont start worrying until you broken teeth from the gears! Any fuzz or metal goo is just gears wearing into their grooves! You will normally see a little metallic swirl in the oil as it drains too.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
HipPhatCat
Intermediate

I just did the 1000 mile service (at home with Harley synthetic fluids) for less than $100. I had a small amount of shavings on all 3 drain plugs. When and if you ever read our owners manuel, it says the shavings are normal.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes fine shavings and particles are normal wear and tear on any mechanical devise. It's when you find large pieces of metal and gear teeth when you should start to worry.
As for the multiple oil changes, yeah, you can go the cheep route and filter it out and put it back in since it has barley been used but, it will still have some particulate matter in it.
It is best to just go ahead and replace it as it is a small price to pay when compared to what can be damaged, accelerated wear, by contaminated oil, just my

Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Eagle240
Tourer

well i guess i should buy a owners manual, becuase i had no idea there is more than 1 plug. GOING TO GET ONE AFTER WORK!! They should come with the bike!!

IS it ok to wait for til 1k to perform the first oil change>?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle240
well i guess i should buy a owners manual, becuase i had no idea there is more than 1 plug. GOING TO GET ONE AFTER WORK!! They should come with the bike!!

IS it ok to wait for til 1k to perform the first oil change>?
The owners manual does come with a new bike from the stealer.

Per our "2012 Softail models" manual:
The first oil change is at 1,000 miles. The 2nd is at 5,000, 3rd at 10,000 etc. etc. at every 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Metal Shaving on Trans Plug - 1k svc approaching!