Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Fatboy leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:28 PM
00 fatboy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Fatboy leaking oil

I need some help, I ride a 2000 Fatboy and over the last year due to my job I have had to just keep the bike garaged and covered and not ridden. I recently had the chance to get out and blow off some dust and spent several wonderful hours riding. I returned home and garaged the bike and the next day I came out to find that ALOT of oil had leaked out all over the garage. The oil seems to be coming from a small hole in the frame. Can someone give me some clues as to what I need to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, 00Fatboy

Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 fatboy
I need some help, I ride a 2000 Fatboy and over the last year due to my job I have had to just keep the bike garaged and covered and not ridden. I recently had the chance to get out and blow off some dust and spent several wonderful hours riding. I returned home and garaged the bike and the next day I came out to find that ALOT of oil had leaked out all over the garage. The oil seems to be coming from a small hole in the frame. Can someone give me some clues as to what I need to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, 00Fatboy
If it comes out at the back on the right side of the frame, under the oil tank it might be the drain plug that has gotten loose or gone missing.

Hope for you it's as simple as that.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the oil drain plug, o-ring leaking? check your oil!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you can start it and oil is not pouring out where you can see it, it's probably not motor oil. You can see everything from the side other than the drain plug.
My guess is the inner primary seals are shot. They will drip towards the center of the bike when parked. Make sure to replace them all, including the shifter shaft seal.
Couple of helpful hints: make sure they sell you the revised starter shaft seal. The newer ones have springs on both sides of the seal and are much more effective. Also, the shift shaft seal, drill a tiny hole in the existing one, screw in a small sheet metal screw, it is easy to remove it that way with some pliers.
Good luck

Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM
00 fatboy
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the input. More info on this, I have to add about a half of quart of oil when the bike sits and the oil has dumped on the ground. The place I see it coming from is at the frame and looks like a 1/4 in size hole in the frame and also looks like a tube runs into the frame from engine area, not sure where it originates. Thanks 00 Fatboy

Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 fatboy
Thanks for all the input. More info on this, I have to add about a half of quart of oil when the bike sits and the oil has dumped on the ground. The place I see it coming from is at the frame and looks like a 1/4 in size hole in the frame and also looks like a tube runs into the frame from engine area, not sure where it originates. Thanks 00 Fatboy
"From engine area"..... you're gonna have to help us out here. Front, back, left right? A pic would be FANTASTIC in isolating the leak. From what you're describing it is sounding more and more like a drain plug issue. If it's dumping as soon as you put it in, you might have lost your drain plug altogether. It'd be on the right side right in front of the swing arm. You can follow the rubber hose up to the oil tank.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
00 fatboy
2nd Gear

Thanks SPYDYR for your input. After the bike sits and oil is on ground, I re-fill the oil tank and go for a ride. Put bike back in garage and in the a.m. there is oil back on the floor. Yes, Looks to be on right side near swing arm area. Oil does not run out immediate
after filling it back up. 00 Fatboy

Old 10-06-2017, 06:20 PM
eatnatdy
Stage II

Its your oil tank drain plug. Has a rubber tube between tank and frame where the plug screws in. unscrew and replace o ring on plug. mark it off your list.