Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden primary chain tensioner, comments?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hayden primary chain tensioner, comments?

I would like to hear your comments on the Hayden primary chain tensioner, good, bad or ugly?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hayden

Good choice. I've used them on bikes for years from shovelheads to evos, to twin cams. Just put one on my 2011 Fatboy when I upgraded to a 124 engine and a Baker 7speed. I really think its much easier on primary chains and takes a lot of the jerk away when using big cams. On my old FXWG I think I'm on my third chain and it has over 130k on the clock. Don't think they were worn out but just changed them as a maintence item. When I bought my 7 speed from Baker I ordered one of their primary tensioners but wasn't real keen on they way they worked so went ahead and bought the Hayden which I should have done to start with from my history with them. Don't think you can go wrong.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
bolt54
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put one on my wife's lowrider after the stock tensioner overtightened and wiped out the IPB. Had an issue (noise) which Hayden promptly took care of on their dime. She says it shifts much better than before and she likes it a lot. I'll probably do this mod on my bike this winter.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Sweetglide08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bolt54
Put one on my wife's lowrider after the stock tensioner overtightened and wiped out the IPB. Had an issue (noise) which Hayden promptly took care of on their dime. She says it shifts much better than before and she likes it a lot. I'll probably do this mod on my bike this winter.
What was the noise you were hearing, I'm hearing weird noises after installing mine... to the op, the install was really pretty easy once you figure it all out. As far as anything else goes I have no idea..

Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bolt54
How did you determine that it was an over-tightened tensioner which caused the inner primary bearing failure?

I'm not trying be flip here. I just really want to know. IPB failure is common on a few years and models (including one I own), and an over-tightened chain is one theory, but I haven't seen anything which confirms that theory.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Son just had his IPB replaced at 23K on his 10 St.G.
Funny they said in some cases the MoCo secretly will warranty the 07's, 08's, 09's, and 11's.. but not the 10's..

The PHD master wrench at our dealership claimed that the failure is due to using GL (Son had 75-90 GL)in the tranny.
Stated, he is seeing more and more (15 or so this summer) failures by owners and that most all of them are using a GL in the tranny instead of any good syn 20-50 oil or Formula+.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PHD hu

Your PHD master at the dealer has a PHD in BS. The bearing isn't in the transmission, its in the primary case. Now how in the world would having gear oil in the tranny affect what's going on in the primary?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Would there be any significant advantage in installing the Hayden in a 2006 Heritage, which has the manual adjustment?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:34 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I no longer have my heritage . I have a dyna now so I can save some weight . Dyna is fun but heritage is still my all time favorite motorcycle. On to the question at hand. I had a mechanic install a hayden m6 in my 2011 dyna as my primary chain tension was tight as a fiddle string. I have about 4.5 k miles on it so far and I really like it.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:56 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I just put one in my 2005 night train about 500 miles ago. I love it... had the manual adjust on it and it seems like I could never get it just right.

made some noise the first few hundred miles which they said was normal until the shoe is broken in.

very happy with mine so far....

Quick Reply: Hayden primary chain tensioner, comments?