Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 PM
MarekD
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drpete
I agree it looks better lowered. I also like it with those small fenders that hug the tire. That heartland kit is so expensive when you factor labor and paint. It does look good tho ��

I want to move the license plate anywhere besides where it is. It ruins the rear look of the bike. I was eyeing the kurikan (can't remember how to spell it) Would like to go vertical must it must have a light. My preference would be some small led that lights the plate. Don't really want another brake light. I looked at all the other threads on this but can't find anything that looks good for a reasonable price.

Any suggestions. Maybe something new came out after those threads

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are the best ��
How about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Breakout-...FSnLSb&vxp=mtr

Bought mine and had it powdercoated black. Don't have it on yet, but seems to work fine and looks cool.

The following users liked this post:
drpete (05-09-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Got it Jim- that's still pretty messed up. I've never had a shop not hand me my stock parts nor have I had to ask for them. when I had my 30t trans pulley installed at HD Glendale my 32t stocker and unused gasket parts were sitting on the counter wrapped up along with my paperwork. "Hiding" take off parts from unsuspecting customers is pretty shady IMO. It's your part, you own it, you paid for the shop labor and your take off parts were not part of any barter deal. If they did not give it back to you and they "lost it", they legally owe you a replacement even if it's out of their pocket. you're definitely being nicer about than I would be..

I have not heard about any failures of the SS system, from what I understand it's pretty good. Just if I'm gonna pay over $1k for shocks, I want something Ohlins quality and triple adjustable. I might never get it though... lol

Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
I'm not trying to pursuade you at all in looking into an air system. But, Shotgun Shocks have a lifetime warranty. Should you have ANY issue with your shocks, get in touch with JD or Jessica and they will help you T/S the issue and if they can't resolve it, they will send you a brand new unit. They are absolutely amazing to deal with.

Ok, I'm done
Yes, but if the problem occurs, you have no rear suspension, and maybe no ground clearance, and so are immobilized wherever it occurs, which means a tow, a wait for the replacement parts, and the need for a mechanic (I don't carry a shop full of tools when on a ride).

No, not for me.

Jim G

Old 05-07-2016, 09:44 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yes, but if the problem occurs, you have no rear suspension, and maybe no ground clearance, and so are immobilized wherever it occurs, which means a tow, a wait for the replacement parts, and the need for a mechanic (I don't carry a shop full of tools when on a ride).

No, not for me.

Jim G
I had 1 ride that I had to ride the bike home rigid. Wound up having to send them back. Just put the stock shocks on because I really wanted to ride. 30 min swap out. I've been down that road and would still rather have the SS.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:25 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna order my tires today or tomorrow. Take the bike in next week to get them installed
I just got my Metz installed a couple days ago ( and my axle alignment figured out with the help of l.a. dog. thanks again dog ). 260 out back and 120/70 up front. The bike feels soooooooo much better now. It's hard to believe just how much a great tire can improve your ride quality until you experience it. But trust me, getting those tires on there might just be the best thing you can do to the breakout. Night and day difference, no bullshit.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Debating a shotgun kit but not right away.
Originally Posted by LA_Dog

the Shotgun Shock seems to be the best option for lowering the bike and maintaining good ride quality. the price tag just kinda sucks. and I don't really need a "la bamba" switch to raise and lower the bike. otalay homey.
I'm not trying to pursuade you at all in looking into an air system. But, Shotgun Shocks have a lifetime warranty. Should you have ANY issue with your shocks, get in touch with JD or Jessica and they will help you T/S the issue and if they can't resolve it, they will send you a brand new unit. They are absolutely amazing to deal with.
Originally Posted by LA_Dog

I have not heard about any failures of the SS system, from what I understand it's pretty good. Just if I'm gonna pay over $1k for shocks, I want something Ohlins quality and triple adjustable. I might never get it though... lol
I had 1 ride that I had to ride the bike home rigid. Wound up having to send them back. Just put the stock shocks on because I really wanted to ride. 30 min swap out. I've been down that road and would still rather have the SS.
I really think anybody considering air-ride should take a good look at Legend.... I installed the Legend on my BO a year and a half ago and love it!! While I have heard and read (on this forum) of more then one person having different problems with the SS, I personally have never had or heard of any problems with the Legend. It's stronger, or at least lifts faster then the SS and has the handle bar mounted control, making it easy to adjust on the fly!! Price is comparable.....Also, if I'm not mistaken, the SS is not approved for use in Europe, (or at least some countries) while the Legend has been ...important for those guys!! Maybe someone can confirm this?? I should add that I have nothing against SS and have never used their product, and I have read many times about their great customer service.... but have to ask myself, why are so many people having to deal with customer service??

Last edited by Rocker B; 05-08-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:04 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
.....Also, if I'm not mistaken, the SS is not approved for use in Europe, (or at least some countries) while the Legend has been ...important for those guys!! Maybe someone can confirm this?? I should add that I have nothing against SS and have never used their product, and I have read many times about their great customer service.... but have to ask myself, why are so many people having to deal with customer service??
Yep I can confirm this at least for Germany. SS are not approved over here while Legends are. Plus AFAIK also Legend offers a lifetime warranty for their system. But to be honest....what does lifetime stand for....lifetime of my bike, of me, of JD, of SS as a company...?

Old 05-08-2016, 12:21 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Yep I can confirm this at least for Germany. SS are not approved over here while Legends are. Plus AFAIK also Legend offers a lifetime warranty for their system. But to be honest....what does lifetime stand for....lifetime of my bike, of me, of JD, of SS as a company...?
Ya Ray thanks, that's what I heard, not sure if it's ok'd anywhere over there??.... and yes on the Legend warranty, but again I haven't heard of someone that's had to use it, sure there must be, but I'm thinking it's rare... and again, I'm not saying SS isn't one, but I wanted to let people know that there is a "high quality" option available in the Legend....

Last edited by Rocker B; 05-08-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 AM
sothai
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam height on the wall.

Quick and dirty fix hopefully:

I rarely ride at night, but did just now and the high beam was so high, it made no difference to what I could see ahead.

What height should it be against a wall 10 feet away please?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I would love to replace the bulbs on my Breakout, in both the twin rear running/brake/signal lights and the front running/signal lights, with LEDs, but I find the Custom Dynamics website incomprehensible.

Is Custom Dynamics the only source?

What do I order and from where?

I would prefer to avoid cutting or tapping into the stock HD wiring harness. Is there a simple plug and play kit that simply uses the existing bulb sockets?

Jim G
I went to Daymakers and LED's for signal lights. These:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/137-842

work well. You just,,,, put em in.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread