Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 196 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
I went with a Arlen Ness horn...plug and play, sounds way better then stock, and plenty loud!!

1. The photos aren't super close-ups,but it Looks like you do have the ABS system. Correct?

2. When you say "plug and play" do you mean (a) it mounts via the same mounting bolt, and (b) the electrical connection plugs right in like the stock one? If so, I'll be buying one!

Jim G

Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
1. The photos aren't super close-ups,but it Looks like you do have the ABS system. Correct?

2. When you say "plug and play" do you mean (a) it mounts via the same mounting bolt, and (b) the electrical connection plugs right in like the stock one? If so, I'll be buying one!

Jim G
Yes Jim, I do have ABS....and yes plugs right in and mounts the same as stock!!

Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Yes Jim, I do have ABS....and yes plugs right in and mounts the same as stock!!
It looks like these Arlen Ness horns come in 2 versions, the "Sportster" version and the "Touring" version.

1. I take it you simply buy the "Touring" version, which does fit our Breakouts?

2. The style you bought is the "Beveled" model?

3. Looks like the price most places is either $179 or $198, which seems like a lot for a horn, but that darn stock one is really embarrassing. What is the difference between the 2 differently priced versions? The Arlen Ness website is no help - it currently shows only one price for each style even though there seem to be many dealers whose sites show both prices avaiulable on eahc site, with no obvious explanation of the difference between the horn variants with the 2 different prices.

Jim G

Old 05-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
It looks like these Arlen Ness horns come in 2 versions, the "Sportster" version and the "Touring" version.

1. I take it you simply buy the "Touring" version, which does fit our Breakouts?

2. The style you bought is the "Beveled" model?

3. Looks like the price most places is either $179 or $198, which seems like a lot for a horn, but that darn stock one is really embarrassing. What is the difference between the 2 differently priced versions? The Arlen Ness website is no help - it currently shows only one price for each style even though there seem to be many dealers whose sites show both prices avaiulable on eahc site, with no obvious explanation of the difference between the horn variants with the 2 different prices.

Jim G
I used (universal fit) part #70-204...That would be the beveled black, but look for universal in the description...I bought it from JP Cycles for $179, I think they're $190+ now, but you might find it for less on Ebay...

Last edited by Rocker B; 05-31-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

I used (universal fit) part #70-204...That would be the beveled black, but look for universal in the description...I bought it from JP Cycles for $179, I think they're $190+ now, but you might find it for less on Ebay...
Thanks, Rocker B.

Jim G

Old 05-31-2016, 02:32 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ My horn is sitting in a box in the shed with all other useless hardware. JMHO.. the "work around" is to ride offensively (vs defensively), and always assume no one can see or hear you (most all the time they don't). Once you start relying on a horn or turn signals for safety is when you get smashed. hell if someone does not hear my pipes they sure as hell are not going to hear my weenie little horn.

now, that said, if I could fabricate one of those TRAIN HORNS onto the bike somewhat stealthy, that would just be plain cool.

This guy is very creative...

Old 05-31-2016, 02:39 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Actually, this type of horn seems like it could be workable for a stealthy install.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:24 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Actually, this type of horn seems like it could be workable for a stealthy install.

KTM 990 SMT horn replaced by Stebel Nautilus Compact - YouTube
Nope! I looked at that one a long time ago, and it is bigger in some dimensions than it appears to be in a photo!

Here in Texas, you need to get a motorcycle safety inspection annually, and the horn must be there and be in working order.

Jim G

Old 05-31-2016, 03:48 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I like using fingers when protesting road issues. They never laugh at me when I do LOL
It does come in handy when a wistle wont do. Just sayin brothers

Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Mencho
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This looks like a great option, thank you!

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread