Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A REAL horn for Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:13 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Default A REAL horn for Breakout?

I think we all know that the stock horn on the Breakout is really, really quiet, and also embarrassingly non-masculine. Sort of "plaintive" (PLEASE get out of my way, or PLEASE don't shift into my lane ).

I spent some time at the HD dealership today getting my bike's 1000 mile service, and found out that there are 2 much louder horns. Unfortunately, I don't know if either can fit on the Breakout.

The loudest of the 2 horns increases sound volume by 5db: pn 69060-90G $45 MSRP. Since an increase of 10db would mean 10 times "louder", 5 db louder is very notable. In fact, I heard that horn today on a fellow customer's bike, and it was impressive. Also, it sounds "intimidating" versus "plaintive". The problem with it is straightforward: It is intended to mount in the "normal" HD position, between the cylinders, on the left side of the bike.

The Breakout's horn is on the front of the frame, between the down tubes, and above the ABS unit, and has a nice chrome cover. The "loud" horn is larger, and has a mini3D "trumpet". I suspect it will not fit under the chrome cover for starters (because of the mini 3D trumpet), and also that it might not fit between the frame members above the ABS unit. I also don't know how it mounts.

The second louder horn is one that the HD catalog describes as a "louder horn" for the Sportster. It supposedly adds 3db horn more sound, and the pn is 690000007 (chrome) or 690000009 (black) The MSRP is $30. It appears to be a flat round horn like the one on the Breakout, so perhaps MIGHT fit under that chrome cover on the Breakout??

Has anyone out there seen or actually installed either of these 2 louder horns? I don't want to buy either unless I think there is a reasonable chance that it will install successfully on the Breakout in the stock Breakout location (I want to keep this simple - no new locations, mounting brackets, and extended wiring).

Jim G

Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Googled "Loud Motorcycle Horn" and this pulled up:

Banshee Horn

I like the hold feature where it honks multiple times and flashes high-beams.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Here is another, damn near identical sound for HALF the price:

Ear Cannon Air Horn

Old 04-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Breakout Boy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley

Ear Cannon Air Horn
Quote from the site: "If Ethel Merman, Sam Kinison and John Philip Sousa ever had a band, and played through a wall-of-sound amp rack, it would sound like this." LOL!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I think we all know that the stock horn on the Breakout is really, really quiet, and also embarrassingly non-masculine. Sort of "plaintive" (PLEASE get out of my way, or PLEASE don't shift into my lane ).

I spent some time at the HD dealership today getting my bike's 1000 mile service, and found out that there are 2 much louder horns. Unfortunately, I don't know if either can fit on the Breakout.

The loudest of the 2 horns increases sound volume by 5db: pn 69060-90G $45 MSRP. Since an increase of 10db would mean 10 times "louder", 5 db louder is very notable. In fact, I heard that horn today on a fellow customer's bike, and it was impressive. Also, it sounds "intimidating" versus "plaintive". The problem with it is straightforward: It is intended to mount in the "normal" HD position, between the cylinders, on the left side of the bike.

The Breakout's horn is on the front of the frame, between the down tubes, and above the ABS unit, and has a nice chrome cover. The "loud" horn is larger, and has a mini3D "trumpet". I suspect it will not fit under the chrome cover for starters (because of the mini 3D trumpet), and also that it might not fit between the frame members above the ABS unit. I also don't know how it mounts.

The second louder horn is one that the HD catalog describes as a "louder horn" for the Sportster. It supposedly adds 3db horn more sound, and the pn is 690000007 (chrome) or 690000009 (black) The MSRP is $30. It appears to be a flat round horn like the one on the Breakout, so perhaps MIGHT fit under that chrome cover on the Breakout??

Has anyone out there seen or actually installed either of these 2 louder horns? I don't want to buy either unless I think there is a reasonable chance that it will install successfully on the Breakout in the stock Breakout location (I want to keep this simple - no new locations, mounting brackets, and extended wiring).

Jim G
I used the louder Sportster horn when I did my coil relocation.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html
I mounted the horn similar to the Breakout horn. I actually looked into the Breakout horn and chrome cover but just couldn't fork over the $70 for just the cover. I can't comment on the difference in sound because I've never heard the Breakout horn? I will say the Sportster horn seems plenty loud for that style horn. The sound is more of a "beep" style horn than the "honk" between the cylinder style horn, if that makes sense?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I used the louder Sportster horn when I did my coil relocation.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html
The sound is more of a "beep" style horn than the "honk" between the cylinder style horn, if that makes sense?
Ah, the Sportster one is not a good solution for me: I hate that "beep" sound (that's what the Breakout horn sounds like), and want that "honk" sound! The "beep" sound seems to say "PLEASE don't run into me". The "honk" sound is more like "Get outa my face". The latter greeting is more effective against cars.

Jim G

Old 04-20-2014, 07:09 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Googled "Loud Motorcycle Horn" and this pulled up:

Banshee Horn

I like the hold feature where it honks multiple times and flashes high-beams.
Impressive, but more than I want. I want a simple bolt-on substitution with a "honk" versus a "beep" and a bit more volume (not THAT much more volume ).

Jim G

Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Ear Cannon Air Horn
Again, impressive, BUT it's description says:

"The 139dB high and low tone blasters combine via air induction to cut through the din and make the most distracted of drivers drop their cell phones and pay attention. Installs easily on all bikes with a 4.5"×3"×4.5" space for mounting. The loudest motorcycle horn available. If Ethel Merman, Sam Kinison and John Philip Sousa ever had a band, and played through a wall-of-sound amp rack, it would sound like this. 12V. 18A. 1 lb 4 oz."

Note the size: 4.5" x 3" x 4.5". That won't fit where the stock Breakout horn currently resides. And did you catch the current draw? 18 amps x12 volts = 216 WATTS!!! Heck, you wouldn't need to wire in a light flasher; the mere current draw would likely dim the headlight!!!

I do love overkill products, but this is simply too much for me.

Jim G

Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I always liked the WoLo horn. It's not expensive and from the videos, easy to install. And why Harleys have little "beep" sounding horns, I don't know. It's almost embarrassing.

Quick Reply: A REAL horn for Breakout?