Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service with mods question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile service with mods question

ok...Got my breakout in March...been riding her pretty much every day (it's been a really dry spring in Miami which has been great for everything except my lawn). I got 900 miles on it now and will need to do my first service soon.

Damn clutch isn't as tight as it was...looking forward to getting that adjusted...anyway...the meat of my post:

I ordered a screaming eagle air cleaner from Surdyke...should be coming in next week. I talked to a couple of the service guys at the dealer and basically anything I want installed needs to be bought from them. This poses a problem because they don't discount their parts and i'll be damned if i'm going to pay retail for something I can get cheaper elsewhere. So i'm going to install the air cleaner myself (figure that is easy...done it to cars, can't be too different)...and i'm contemplating installing the exhaust myself as well...again...shouldn't be too difficult. I found Freedom Performance amendment pipes on amazon for almost half of what VH would cost, plus I wanted something different.

I would have to buy the tuner from the dealer and have them tune the bike, but would I have any problems if I ran both the Air cleaner and exhaust for about 20 miles from home to the dealer? Also...anyone think the dealer would be a jerk about only installing the tuner and actually tuning it? I haven't had a chance to drop by and ask them...but figured someone here may have some experience.

I was also waiting for the mangaflow pipes to be released but there haven't been any updates...I figure by not blowing my load on VH pipes I would be more willing to change later if I wanted to.

I got my blackline dash parts yesterday...well....everything but the dash. It's backordered until next week. I was disappointed as I had planned my afternoon around the install...oh well...more for me to do next week I suppose.

thanks for all the help and info...look forward to reading the replies.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Six7One
Tourer

if it is just the intake and exhaust you're gonna run lean for that 20 miles. So it could get pretty hot. You may have a bigger issue with that dealership...they may be difficult to work with on mods to your bike as it pertains to your warranty.

I am confused. Is the problem that you think they won't install the air cleaner or that they won't do the tune when you do it yourself?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
PikeAl
Cruiser

I think they may give me a hard time tuning the bike after I do the install for the air cleaner and the pipes. they won't install the air cleaner because I didn't buy it from them...and I refuse to pay premium prices for stuff I can get cheaper on my own.

Main question was the running lean part...wouldn't want to cause any damage...the other part was just hoping to hear what I wanted to hear...but only person that can answer that is someone from the dealer.

Any input on Freedom Performance products? Read a little bit about them on the forum but haven't noticed many people running them.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:18 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok couple of things

1) you do not need a tuner unless you are looking for maximum gains. The dealership can reprogram your bike with a download to match that air cleaner and SE pipes. This tune will cost you about 200 dollars regardless. If you have a SE tuner you do NOT need the dealership to perform the tune but you do need the cable kit. The factory stage 1 tunes are available from HD when u buy the newest tuner. These are still EPA compliant and will still be lean but within the warranty.

2) IF you are going to have the dealership perform a factory download, have it done BEFORE you install your AC and pipes. It won't hurt the bike to ride it home rich. If you ride it there too lean you could discolor your pipes though.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM
PikeAl
Cruiser

good info...thank you for the reply. didn't know that. thought that in order to have it tuned at the dealer I needed the SE tuner. was not aware that I could do it myself using the SE tuner.

that was part of my dilemma. the SE tuner I can get online for cheaper than what my dealer will let it go for. Get's real irritating and real expensive....FAST.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You just need the tuner and cable kit. If you get it from surdykes or kutters you can get both for about the same as just the tuner from your local dealership.

I went with the vigilante tuner. 149 was a good deal and I have no plans on going further than an AC and VH pipes

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeamj
I went with the vigilante tuner.
They told me they have no tunes for 2014 bikes as of yet (FXDL in specific).

Old 05-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts

Don't know how much your budget is but a FP3 would be another choice for your bike.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Doesn't the FP3 very much favor their own exhaust's and such? The don't really offer tunes for other manufacturers but it does have the auto tune feature.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:28 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to make your decision harder, but check out the Power Vision tuner.

If you do decide to get the SE tuner and get in tuned at the dealer, just call them and ask. That's all. Tell them you are bringing your bike in with an aftermarket exhaust and air cleaner. Ask them if they have a problem tuning your bike like that. I see no reason why they would finagle you about it. They are getting paid still.

I think you'll be fine riding 20 miles with that set up. It will be a hot ride! If you are iffy about it, just bring the air cleaner kit with you and the tools in a backpack and put it on in the parking lot.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service with mods question