Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout handling and peg scraping - what I've discovered

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wavesnwheels
I've chopped the feelers right down which makes the touch down slightly less violent but the pegs hang lower than the mountings so I'm going to make some where the pegs and mount hole is inline, this should get another 1/2" clearance, although I hope the pegs still touch down before the primary cover.
Most of the Harley accessory pegs don't have that offset. For example, the HD Diamond Black foot pegs I bought for my Breakout come with the feelers (which can be unscrewed from the foot pegs) and NO offset.

Jim G

Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wavesnwheels
Great post LA_Dog and good info. Every time I hit a bump it feels like the front wheel leaves the ground. I've adopted a similar technique to yours when it comes to corners, I try and get the braking done in a straight line then hit an early apex, sit the bike up asap then on the gas. It works well until I'm in a rush and then end up scraping the whole way round.

I've chopped the feelers right down which makes the touch down slightly less violent but the pegs hang lower than the mountings so I'm going to make some where the pegs and mount hole is inline, this should get another 1/2" clearance, although I hope the pegs still touch down before the primary cover.
Nice looking Breakout- the pipe looks great. Yeh the front wheel is really unstable on the Breakout, whatever setup HD put inside the forks on this bike is horribly inadequate. I just had a really good A<>B comparison this evening - took my Big Dog chopper out for a spin, it handles like it is on rails (FXR style frame, lowered, inverted forks etc) - and the same bumps in corners on the main road up to my house- you don't even think twice when you hit em regardless of speed. but on the BO, it gets religious real fast!! I'm definitely going to put more research into upgrading the fork springs and dampers. It's more of a safety issue than anything.

BTW if you buy the HD knurled front pegs, the feelers just unscrew with an alan wrench. oh and no offset either.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Most of the Harley accessory pegs don't have that offset. For example, the HD Diamond Black foot pegs I bought for my Breakout come with the feelers (which can be unscrewed from the foot pegs) and NO offset.

Jim G
Even the Slipstream foot pegs that are stock on the CVO Breakout come without that offset. They are straight and and of course don't have those feelers either.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Thanks I'll check it out- constant's are good too, it depends on the bike and application. too racy of a constant can make for a bad freeway ride- the other side of the equation is getting proper valving / damping.
You could always go old school and make some fork spring spacers. It would increase you preload.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a rocker and had to make some adjustments as you suggested. I put progressive front and rear springs. Lowered the back 1.5 " . It now rides like a dream...and rarely hits the bump STOP.
The front kit was only 90 bucks and made a massive diff. As you suggested. The stock shocks are left overs from a hay wagon...LOL.
Trick the rocker folks use that might work for you breakout folks...use a bump stop from an 07 soft tail, only seven bucks and fits the same install location and the same size only thinner...works great. Once you fix it up the way you want, they are sweet...up in Canada at Atlanticade bike rally...sweet!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 AM
LedBoots
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll find, coming from sport bikes to a cruiser style, that rear braking is much more effective on a cruiser. You can rely on it alot more than you ever would on a sport bike. Your corner setup routine is going to completely change. Personally, I use engine braking and trail brake the rear. I very rarely use the front unless I'm coming up hot or if its a turn I wasn't expecting, and then I use it sparingly in concert with the rear.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM
HDthunderRB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My breakout definitely handles 10x better then my Fatboy lo did! but there is always room for improvement......

Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
LedBoots
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could also look into some Speed Merchant pegs for added clearance.

http://www.thespeedmerchant.bigcarte...black-anodized

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LedBoots
You could also look into some Speed Merchant pegs for added clearance.

http://www.thespeedmerchant.bigcarte...black-anodized

Those pegs could help a bit if it really were the pegs scraping. But as far as I'm concerned it's not actually the pegs but my heels.

I think if you have somewhat of a natural/normal riding position your heels will touch the ground long before the pegs would do .

Old 07-02-2014, 11:14 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

[QUOTE=EagleRay;12937042]Those pegs could help a bit if it really were the pegs scraping. But as far as I'm concerned it's not actually the pegs but my heels.

I think if you have somewhat of a natural/normal riding position your heels will touch the ground long before the pegs would do .

QUOTE]

I agree.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Breakout handling and peg scraping - what I've discovered