Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Tell Me About Key West....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tell Me About Key West....

From central Mississippi down, what are the best routes, places to stay, things to see, good eats. I was thinking about going down to Mexico Beach, and on down towards Ft. Myers, bypassing the St. Pete/Tampa congestion, and on to Key West. On the way back, coming up around Okeechobee, toward Titusville, on to Daytona, to Tallahassee and home. We have scheduled about 8 days off for this trip. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

You might want to post under Florida crew for more responses.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

The Duval crawl is more painful the older you get!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

WE are taking 75 until we can get on the turnpike. Once you get into Key Largo on your way to Key West.....didn't stop at a bar or restaurant to the keys that wasn't good. Heading that way again this year! The main road in Key West is Duval....go to google maps and you can see why. Have a safe trip!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
The following users liked this post:
HDriderDave1 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:24 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,650 Posts

Need to go here.....

Attached Thumbnails Tell Me About Key West....-sloppy-joe-s.jpg  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'm headed to Key West in a week or so, riding from Ohio. I was stationed at Truman for a while so I kinda know my way around.

I'd take 75 south until it turns east and becomes a toll road, then I'd jump off and take 41 E below I75. You have the reservation and the US smallest Post Office there. Cut south to Florida City and head to Card Sound Road. Stop at Alabama Jack's and have something to eat then south on Card Sound til you connect back up with 1.

There are a few points of interest on the way to Key West, google them and see what suits you. Fipper's grave or something more profound can be had. Watch your speed on Big Pine Key. The cops aren't playing about the speed limit, there are some deer there (wouldn't amount to a deer in Ohio) that are endangered.

In Key West a pic at the Furthest SW bollard is a must but know that it isn't really the furthest point SW but who cares

Duval Street, Sloppy Joes and Hemingway's House are must sees in my opinion as well. Look for stray cats (amongst the chickens) in the street that have 6 toes. All descended from Pappa's cat given to him by a ship captain.

Eat a meal at Pepe's, oldest restaurant in Key West and great food.

Ride the Conch Train tour and learn about the history.

Last but not the least, as the day winds down head to the end of Duval Street to Mallory Square for the sunset. Every day, people gather there to watch performers of all sorts until the sun gets ready to set. You can see it slip over the horizon and in my opinion there's no better; and I've seen some sunsets.

There's more, but that's a good start.

PS
I'd recommend the El Patio Motel. A good place and it's quintessential Key West.

Other than that, I got nuthin

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-17-2017 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skylit1967 (02-01-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'm headed to Key West in a week or so, riding from Ohio. I was stationed at Truman for a while so I kinda know my way around.

I'd take 75 south until it turns east and becomes a toll road, then I'd jump off and take 41 E below I75. You have the reservation and the US smallest Post Office there. Cut south to Florida City and head to Card Sound Road. Stop at Alabama Jack's and have something to eat then south on Card Sound til you connect back up with 1.

There are a few points of interest on the way to Key West, google them and see what suits you. Fipper's grave or something more profound can be had. Watch your speed on Big Pine Key. The cops aren't playing about the speed limit, there are some deer there (wouldn't amount to a deer in Ohio) that are endangered.

In Key West a pic at the Furthest SW bollard is a must but know that it isn't really the furthest point SW but who cares

Duval Street, Sloppy Joes and Hemingway's House are must sees in my opinion as well. Look for stray cats (amongst the chickens) in the street that have 6 toes. All descended from Pappa's cat given to him by a ship captain.

Eat a meal at Pepe's, oldest restaurant in Key West and great food.

Ride the Conch Train tour and learn about the history.

Last but not the least, as the day winds down head to the end of Duval Street to Mallory Square for the sunset. Every day, people gather there to watch performers of all sorts until the sun gets ready to set. You can see it slip over the horizon and in my opinion there's no better; and I've seen some sunsets.

There's more, but that's a good start.

PS
I'd recommend the El Patio Motel. A good place and it's quintessential Key West.

Other than that, I got nuthin
That's fantastic info! Thank you so very much!

Old 01-17-2017, 01:27 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

The night time haunted tours were pretty neat, too.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:15 PM
stevewfl
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

tip: you don't want to miss the lobster reuben sammich in Marathon!

Quick Reply: Tell Me About Key West....