Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

The Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
LT753
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dragon

The wife and I got to ride the Dragon this past Sunday. Actually we went through it and then turned around and went back through. The weather was perfect and it really wasn't very crowded at all. I'll post a few pics soon. The area looked great, so if any of you are thinking about it, it's in great shape. LEO's were in the area but they have their hands full with the Crotch Rockets. They just wave at us.

Lynn

Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Dragon

LT73,

I live in Blount County (home of the dragon) and enjoy riding it. Additionally, I am a LEO and work closely with most of the guys that are up there. FYI they typically are on extra duty (getting paid overtime) while on patrol on the dragon. A lot of the officers also ride HD. The Blount County Sherrifs Office is one of the best and the officers are top notch. Crotch Rockets draw their attention because they typically are riding the dragon above their heads which creates problems for everyone.
The dragon is a great ride. If possible I would reccomend anyone traveling to ride it to do so during the week and not on weekends. Usually, I can go up on a weekday and ride with very light traffic (ie. a lot less crotch rockets )

Old 04-05-2006, 11:13 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean & I went last Sept and had a great time. We are going back in a few weeks.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love that area, the Dragon is cool but, all the other riding and the motorcycle resorts.........everything out there is awsome

Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 383 Likes on 157 Posts

Question for you since you are a leo there. West of the dam (Tennessee) where it is basically flat going beside the river the speed limit is 35 MPH, WHY? Also, how much over the limit do the LEO's give the Harley riders? I ride a Harley and have always been told to not exceed even to 36 MPH because I would get a citation, true?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
FLHTC06
Advanced

Ahhh the Dragon. Leaving Jacksonville, FL. 5/26/06 for a fun filled weekend up there. Me and 2 friends are going. Coming back 5/29. I've been before and they haven't, this oughta be good. Now if I can just get them to go Colorado with me and ride up thru Estes Park and hit the Rocky Mtn Trail with me.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:06 AM
LT753
Road Warrior

I am an LEO and west of the damn they still have some crazy wrecks that they work. Again, most involving Crotch Rockets. I think they keep the speed limit posted low just as an attempt to keep it safe. In that area I feel that they cannot let one group (HD) riders get by at one speed and then write all the other. They may want to, but it would cause a huge stink.

Heather and Sean, glad to hear that you all are coming back to ride again. Are you all going to the rally also? I hope you all have a great trip.

Rockytoprider, I am also a LEO and have several friends that work at Maryville, and Blount Co. There really are a bunch of good folks who work there.

The ride was great and I put another sticker on my helmet from the store. The guys from Killboy.com were out there taking pics and they still post them for sale on their web site. It is a great way to get a pic of yourself riding your bike.

Anyway, let the "Days of Summer" begin!

Lynn

Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plan to get down there hopefully three times this year, love it. We are going to see what we can do about the rally, hopefully

I have no reason to ride that fast down there, in no hurry to die.......and have not taken any stunt courses I speed up every now and again, think I got to nearly 50 at a couple of points of the Dragon but, it was a short distance.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 AM
LT753
Road Warrior

Sean your right about the speed. For one thing it's a long way to the bottom at some places and if you go too fast you miss the view. There are quite a few HDF members in this area, so let us know when your in the area. We could all meet up and maybe ride some together.

Lynn

Old 04-06-2006, 10:02 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RockyTopRider
If possible I would reccomend anyone traveling to ride it to do so during the week and not on weekends. Usually, I can go up on a weekday and ride with very light traffic (ie. a lot less crotch rockets )
Do you include Friday as a "weekend" day?

Quick Reply: The Dragon