Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

New guy to the southwest

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 PM
denimnightster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy to the southwest

Gonna be moving to Phoenix, AZ the first week of november. I am lookin to find some people to ride with and just hang with. I am only 21 but not into riders that are overly aggressive but I do like to twist that throttle. I don't think i will be finding anyone my age but Im cool with riding with some older people since thats what I ride and hang out with here in good old Indiana. Anyone with some good information about the area (apartments) or willing to take a young pup under your wing let me know. Thanks everyone.

Ben

Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 AM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Hey, Ben, Welcome to Arizona.

Once again I appoint myself the official Welcome Wagon of our group of riders!!

A bunch of us here get together to ride just about every other weekend. Keep your eyes on the SW forum. We usually post them as "Arizona ride #_____".

Our rides are informal. We post a ride, and if you can make it, you do, and if not, maybe next time.

We do anywhere from 300 to 600 miles in a day. You will see the best twisties Arizona has to offer.

Yes, most of us are probably a LOT older than you, but most of us don't act it!!

Let us know when you are settled in and ready to ride. We'll look forward to meeting you.

Sorry I don't have any info on apartments, but if you tell me where you are considering, I can let you know if I am familiar with the neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:46 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome from Phoenix.

We have a group of riders from this forum that get together for organized rides every two weeks. Check out the Arizona Ride threads one through ten in this forum - some pictures near the end of each thread. Most of our day rides are between 300 and 600 miles.

I ride somewhere at least one day every weekend and would be happy to show you around.

We're not much on freeways and love the twisties. On the straighter roads we pretty much stay together but through the twisties we tend to separate a bit. Those that get ahead will hold up and wait for the others to catch up. Everyone is encouraged to ride within their skill and comfort levels.

We've spent the summer riding up north where it is cooler, and are geting ready to start making runs to the south.

There is a lot of diversity in the state and you can ride year round.

The housing market is miserable here like most everywhere else in the country, as a result rentals are pretty high. Maybe someone else will jump in with more info on that.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by donna.1965
Hey, Ben, Welcome to Arizona.

Once again I appoint myself the official Welcome Wagon of our group of riders!!

A bunch of us here get together to ride just about every other weekend. Keep your eyes on the SW forum. We usually post them as "Arizona ride #_____".

Our rides are informal. We post a ride, and if you can make it, you do, and if not, maybe next time.

We do anywhere from 300 to 600 miles in a day. You will see the best twisties Arizona has to offer.

Yes, most of us are probably a LOT older than you, but most of us don't act it!!

Let us know when you are settled in and ready to ride. We'll look forward to meeting you.

Sorry I don't have any info on apartments, but if you tell me where you are considering, I can let you know if I am familiar with the neighborhood.
As usual, my wife beat me to the punch.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 AM
dwe.61
Road Captain

Welcome "Pup", you'll find lots of younger riders out here along with us "Old Dogs" We enjoy 365 riding days a year and try to take advantage of as many as possible.
West Phoenix is the cheapest area to live, The central corridor(7th st.-7th ave) will cost you more for vehicle insurance.
Looking forward to seeing you on some rides.

Dave

Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi and welcome to the board and soon to AZ.
me and the family just moved here last year. we love it here!
as for group rides, i have not hooked up with anyone yet but going to soon when my schedule lightens up a bit.
I work downtown and go all over the valley just about everyday. so if you have an idea of location or apt. you want scoped out? just let me know i will go buy and take pics and give you my opinion of the area

Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 AM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Ben
You couldn't have picked a better state for riding (in my opinion).I am one of the Phoenix riders. There are a dozen or so of us and the list keeps growing as others join in. We started meeting up last spring and have been riding regularly ever since. Welcome to AZ. I hope you look us up when you get settled in. Let us know if you need anything.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Ben and welcome to AZ. I live in the far northwest part of the valley. If you come across a place to live in the Glendale, Peoria, Surprise area let me know and I too will check it out for you. Az is a great place to ride and you will meet a great bunch of people to ride with and as Dave said these "old dogs" don't act their age.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM
fdatx2
Intermediate

Hey Ben,

Glad you decided to post over here. See, lots of people to ride with in AZ
Welcome to AZ, there's good riding here all year long (as long as you don't mind a little heat in the summer )

Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ben,

Welcome to AZ. We have a great riding group here in Phoenix, you will enjoy it. No need to put your bike away for the winter, you get to ride all year. I live in the far southeast valley; Queen Creek. Let me know if I can help.

Matt

Quick Reply: New guy to the southwest