Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Something more... "family friendly"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM
TXScorpion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something more... "family friendly"?

I have been looking everywhere I can think of and I cant find an answer, so I will post it here...

And before I do, let me be clear: I am asking for ME. Its not to pass judgement on anyone or any traditions...
If I am out of line, just let me know.

Are there ever any events or "bike night" types of things that are more "family friendly"?

I personally do not choose to frequent places like Hooters/Twin Peaks/whatever.
I have no interest in a bikini bike wash.

If that is your thing, more power to you - not my place to say a damn word - but its not MY thing.

I would like to try and be more "involved" in the biker community - and I see a TON of positive rides and fundraisers - and I would love to get my wife involved as well, but as a rule if I hear the words "bikini bike wash", we stay home.

Anyway... hope I didnt ruffle any feathers...

Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've seen people take kids on benefit rides, such as Wishes on Wheels and Wounded Warrior, but you've got to remember that plenty of drinkers go on those sorts of rides. Also the stops tend to be at bars.

Bike shows maybe. There's a group in Illinois called "Star Touring" and they do rides but don't seem like big drinkers, at least not the ones I've met. I'm sure there are chapters in other states.

I've never really thought of motorcycle events being "family friendly" though. My parents were in a local motorcycle club when I was growing up (not a 1% type of club, just regular folks who liked to do poker runs and ride together). I don't recall going to any of those events as a child.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 AM
TXScorpion
Cruiser

I just had to ask...

Around here there are spots on the radio all the time and they talk about being "family friendly"... yet they are held at Twin Peaks or the like with a bikini bike wash and usually a wet tshirt contest.
Sorry, but to me that is not exactly family friendly.

The last thing I want to do is push my version of morality on anyone - which is why I stay home - but as a minister I dont think its appropriate for me.
Of course, as a professional mechanic, I am more than capable of holding my own if needed

Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 AM
TXScorpion
Cruiser

I would love to find a local club that does rides and charity events, but isnt huge into the bar scene but isnt huge into the religion side either...

I havent been able to find that "happy medium" yet.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

You know now that you mentioned being a minister. I know a woman who is a minister and she's in a club called H.I.M. (hogs in ministry) you might do a google search for them, surely they are in other states.

There is also Road Riders for Jesus. I don't know if they're just local to this area or not.

There really does need to be some sort of non drinking and I don't want to see ******* either sort of club. I know I'd be interested.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what about the christian motorcyclist association...that should be family oriented.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The most family friendly events at a dealership I've sen in the area has to be Ft Worth Harley. As far as rallies I've been to, the South Padre Island Bike Rally (now held in Corpus) has to be the most family friendly rally I've been to. Good luck with your quest!

Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association) or your local HOG chapter should fill the bill for what you are looking for.

In our area the CMA is very active and have several events per year. Our HOG group, which is also family friendly, has a lot of activities and organized rides, as well as fund raisers.

With the exception of the CMA and like organizations, I doubt you are going to find any motorcycle riding and events that are going to fit perfectly with your morality. That's just the nature of the beast.

Bill

Old 06-22-2014, 05:11 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,199 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by TXScorpion
I would love to find a local club that does rides and charity events, but isnt huge into the bar scene but isnt huge into the religion side either...

I havent been able to find that "happy medium" yet.

Actually what you describe sounds just like my local HOG group