Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Start on a 48

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:09 PM
hdsportsrer
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but hoping to help others who are getting the run around on this subject. The Smart Security system kit from HD absolutely will make a late model (2014+ I believe) keyless. I had the exact same problem on my 2016 iron 883. I purchased the Smart Security system and had it installed by a local dealer since you need the Digital Technician to “marry” the new BCM that comes with the kit to the bike. After picking up the bike, I still had to use the key and was told by the dealer that you still have to use the key. After going to a couple of dealers and calling several others and being told you can only have keyless ignition if it is ordered from the factory, I used the handlebar mount auxiliary switch kit for my ignition switch for a while (requires a 200 ohm resistor in the wire to function as the ignition switch). I finally decided to really dig in and did more research, discovering you can disable the ignition switch on other models. I again called around to several dealers and all but one said it can’t be done, one said they would be willing to hook up the Digital Technician and see if they could find something. I finally talked to a local indie that agreed to connect his Centurion scan tool and let me like around in it with him for amount of time we spent with the bike. There is an option in the BCM under the title “switches” called “ignition switch” with a check box to enable or disable it. Checking the box to disable the ignition switch did the trick. It took longer to get the tool out and connect it than it did to find and set the option for keyless ignition. Long story short, if you are trying to eliminate the key on a late model sportster, all you need is the smart security kit and a dealer that either knows what they are doing or is willing to listen. Just go into the BCM options and under switches disable the ignition switch.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:33 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hdsportsrer
I know this is an older thread, but hoping to help others who are getting the run around on this subject. The Smart Security system kit from HD absolutely will make a late model (2014+ I believe) keyless. I had the exact same problem on my 2016 iron 883. I purchased the Smart Security system and had it installed by a local dealer since you need the Digital Technician to “marry” the new BCM that comes with the kit to the bike. After picking up the bike, I still had to use the key and was told by the dealer that you still have to use the key. After going to a couple of dealers and calling several others and being told you can only have keyless ignition if it is ordered from the factory, I used the handlebar mount auxiliary switch kit for my ignition switch for a while (requires a 200 ohm resistor in the wire to function as the ignition switch). I finally decided to really dig in and did more research, discovering you can disable the ignition switch on other models. I again called around to several dealers and all but one said it can’t be done, one said they would be willing to hook up the Digital Technician and see if they could find something. I finally talked to a local indie that agreed to connect his Centurion scan tool and let me like around in it with him for amount of time we spent with the bike. There is an option in the BCM under the title “switches” called “ignition switch” with a check box to enable or disable it. Checking the box to disable the ignition switch did the trick. It took longer to get the tool out and connect it than it did to find and set the option for keyless ignition. Long story short, if you are trying to eliminate the key on a late model sportster, all you need is the smart security kit and a dealer that either knows what they are doing or is willing to listen. Just go into the BCM options and under switches disable the ignition switch.

HDSportster,have you any idea if this would apply to any Sportster with the smart security system(fob & ignition switch)or only the later 2014+ models,i have just bought a 2012 with security/proximity fob,but i don't know if that is the same as "smart security" as you describe above.
Thanks,Graham.

Last edited by Tnbrit; 07-05-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:58 AM
hdsportsrer
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
HDSportster,have you any idea if this would apply to any Sportster with the smart security system(fob & ignition switch)or only the later 2014+ models,i have just bought a 2012 with security/proximity fob,but i don't know if that is the same as "smart security" as you describe above.
Thanks,Graham.
This works on the newer model Sportsters with the CAN bus system, these are 2014+. I don't believe the same method will work on the non-CAN systems of the 2013 and earlier models. On the 2014+ Sportsters, the keyed ignition switch is nothing more than a resistor that connects to the BCM. If the BCM sees 200 ohms on the ignition switch it will activate ignition run mode, if it sees 800 ohms on the ignition switch, it will activate accessory mode. Since the BCM actually controls the ignition functions on the later model Sportsters, it is all in the programming of the BCM. The 2013 and earlier model ignition switch is an actual 3 wire electrical contact switch where the ignition switch passes electrical current to the accessory and run circuits. The run switch on the handlebar is also a physical switch that connects to the ECM and the engine system relay with no connection to the TSSM. I don't want to provide a definite "no" here because I am not as familiar with the 2013 and earlier Sportsters, but based on the wiring diagram, I don't see a way for it work with a factory programming option.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 PM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

This works on the newer model Sportsters with the CAN bus system, these are 2014+. I don't believe the same method will work on the non-CAN systems of the 2013 and earlier models. On the 2014+ Sportsters, the keyed ignition switch is nothing more than a resistor that connects to the BCM. If the BCM sees 200 ohms on the ignition switch it will activate ignition run mode, if it sees 800 ohms on the ignition switch, it will activate accessory mode. Since the BCM actually controls the ignition functions on the later model Sportsters, it is all in the programming of the BCM. The 2013 and earlier model ignition switch is an actual 3 wire electrical contact switch where the ignition switch passes electrical current to the accessory and run circuits. The run switch on the handlebar is also a physical switch that connects to the ECM and the engine system relay with no connection to the TSSM. I don't want to provide a definite "no" here because I am not as familiar with the 2013 and earlier Sportsters, but based on the wiring diagram, I don't see a way for it work with a factory programming option.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:02 PM
Jennerhaze
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I saw you replied to a pretty old thread and now I .doing the same. My question is what did you do with your original ignition switch? Just remove and unplug?