Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC's - What's the "b" mean?- Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 AM
RickRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DTC's - What's the "b" mean?- Speedo

'06 xl1200c - OEM speedo # 67436-04A. when I cycle through DTC's I get "P" - which I guess stands for primary circuit. "S" - Which I guess stands for Signal Circuit. "SP" - Speedo. "t" - Tach. Then there's a "b" which always gives a " no rsp". Just wondering what "b" stands for -maybe its for TSSM models only????? There is no mention in any of my 3 manuals.

Still trying to get speedo and odo to function. All lights ( indicator, speedo indicators, speedo back light, turn signals,flashers, perform as should as listed in Elect Diag Manual Speedo Initial Diag. Jacked up rear, tested vss, all good. Everything running fine, except the logging of mileage and thus turn cancel function. TSM reset performed - no errors. Maybe idling a little high at red lights (due to no-vss signal change).

Then I ran it with vss dis-connected. After ride I was looking for P501 or P502 to appear. Ran Diag and found no codes. I have come to believe that if there's a wiring problem, a code will be set (generally speaking?). I guess all black boxes are happy at a constant "no gear tooth present" condition.

Put in different speedo ( eBay used- different part #, but from an '06 sporty) and ran everything again. Same results except the red key doesn't light up at key turn to "On". Also: My OEM speedo says " Harley Davidson" and does the red key thing fine. The eBay one says " Certified Harley Davidson". This makes me suspicious of the integrity of my eBay purchase, and/or a compatability issue.

So I bought another used speedo ( my oem part # this time), trying to eliminate any question of speedo ( Maybe my OEM speedo is toast, maybe the first used one was toast too). If I install this 3rd speedo and its a no-go odo-speedo situation, should I start looking at replacing ECM? and will it be plug and play in a bike that was shipped out of MoCo with no security sysytem?

What I have done:

Cleaned and reconnected possible culprits - battery cables and reseated regulator serated ground bolt , Checked every connection on bike for continuity and again for appropriate volyage. Created a simple alternative to the costly HD break-out box. Crimped new socket terminals on sub-harness connector to speedo. Switched out TSM, (plug and play thanks SGlide), and switched it back to Original because there was no difference. Hopin for the best, but prepared for the worst. Got another main harness coming and will rewire head to tail over winter; if I have to. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I actually have more fun riding without speedo (less inhibited), but I probably run at least half the time with one or the other TS's continually blinking until I make my next turn. Kinda unsafe maybe.

If you think the vss is inconveniently located, be happy; because its not a bad as nuetral switch (got that puppy lighting up again too).

Almost forgot to share the new found joy of having a fuel gauge on a model that has no fuel sensor. I only had to switch out to a duece tank to get that to happen. That's what started this intreresting adventure.

I know there's a least a few of you that can follow the path of least resistance, and I've been burried in this, so there's a chance, I'm forgetting or misleading myself into the abyss. So a friendly concurrance or possible re-direct would be appreciated. Its been a massive learning process but now I'm getting an increasing ride to wrench ratio every day

Thanks - and feel free to bouce back or chime in.