Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar-end Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:48 AM
user 62642348
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
I've had bar ends on two bikes and loved them. Although they all say they fit the 1" Harley bar they work best on a 7/8" bar. I trimmed off some old 7/8" bars and drove them into my 1" as a shim and they were rock solid and vibration free. I'd flip them down for sport look on bike night and up for excellent rear visibility on the interstate.
Sounds good. Did you have any issues around them getting in the way of your handlebars or your knees?

And did you have round or oval mirrors?

Thanks.

Alan

Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't like my mirrors up top, I like them flipped. When I moved to more narrow bars, the stock mirrors would hit the tank if I had them flipped and I had no more room to adjust. So I went with bar end mirrors, and I run them below my grips.

I have joker machine A-Frame Cafe style ones. Jokers rectangular are tiny, and round looked either too big or too small. These things are super sturdy and do not vibrate AT ALL. The A-Frame stick out more than their other models, and the arm has a bend in it so I can tuck the mirror in under the grip, otherwise my arms cover them up.

I have yet to see any sets of mirrors that I like the look of. But I'm really not comfortable unless I have mirrors that I can see both sides and straight behind me, so I run them on both sides. I don't necessarily think they look good.... but I haven't seen any I like any better so.... I don't know.

I did recently just raise my bars another 2" though. I am running 10" bars now, and the mirrors are now showing like half my sleeve, where before they were not showing much of my sleeve at all. If your bars are over 12", you will probably have to run the bar end mirrors up top instead of down below, if you have the same issue I do.

I might try normal mirrors up top again, since my bars are higher maybe I won't just see my shoulders anymore.

Joker machine, good stuff, really good quality mirrors. Pricey but you get what you pay for. I just don't really like the look of any mirrors. One side looks pretty cool, but I need both sides, and everything looks bad when on both sides.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
[snip]
Hey Kevin, how are your guys mirrors for vibration? Also are they convex?

Looks like you can adjust them to swing farther under the bars, is this the case?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
Hey Kevin, how are your guys mirrors for vibration? Also are they convex?

Looks like you can adjust them to swing farther under the bars, is this the case?

Thanks
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner to answer you! The mirrors have 3 separate adjustments available so you'll be able to position them exactly where you want them. The mirrors are flat, not a convex; I doubt you'll have any more vibration issues with these mirrors than you would a stock HD mirror

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner to answer you! The mirrors have 3 separate adjustments available so you'll be able to position them exactly where you want them. The mirrors are flat, not a convex; I doubt you'll have any more vibration issues with these mirrors than you would a stock HD mirror
Thanks. Hey is Kevin not doing the forum posts anymore?

I like the way those look better than my current. I might switch and then sell my joker machine ones and get some money back!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:35 PM
dexrodriguez
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my bar end mirror...the stock one i had i can barely see anything. i had no problems with vibration or anything plus because it's sticking out on my left it actually sees my whole rear area.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

This is your style choice.

Pro Can aid in rear vision if OEM mirror view is blocked by your elbows.
Con Can add width in regards to lane sharing and parking.

It is a good mod IMO.
Have fun.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:06 PM
coyotedream1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a pair of round bar end mirrors a couple days ago - be careful, the expansion bolt for many of the ones you can buy won't fit stock Harley Bars - although they say they do. I had to go to the hardware store to buy bigger expansion bolts - it's been sort of a pain in the butt.... I have the left side mirror on and it looks great, but the the throttle body extends beyond the bars on the right side and won't allow for bar end mirrors unless you trim the throttle body or get the right spacer. I went with the spacer and am hoping to install today. I'll post pics once finished.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:29 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
Thanks. Hey is Kevin not doing the forum posts anymore?

I like the way those look better than my current. I might switch and then sell my joker machine ones and get some money back!

Kevin is still here posting as he always does, I'm here for a bit of back-up so he can get some sleep occasionally

Old 01-23-2016, 10:53 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I tried everything to get the DK bar end mirrors (IMO the best looking and best functioning ones out there) to work on mine, even a great assist from the good folks at DK in cutting a grip for me. In the end I was not able to get the throttle side to work to the point where I felt comfortable with it. No matter what I did, when I tightened it down enough to hold it in place the expanding rubber thing put drag on the throttle. The left side worked perfectly, the right side, not so much.

I finally, reluctantly, went with a different setup. I used CRG Hindsight mirrors with Bikemaster bar end adapters. The difference is that these adapters use a metal expander which doesn't bulge out and interfere with the throttle.

Major thanks to Kevin and Devin at DK for their efforts in trying to make their mirrors work for me. DK will always be the first place I look when I need something. Unfortunately, in my case, I couldn't get their mirrors working to suit my comfort level. Certainly doesn't mean you can't....

Quick Reply: Bar-end Mirrors?