Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Rule of Thumb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts
Default EFI Rule of Thumb?

I still read widely varying accounts of just what does and doesn't require an EFI recalibration: is the rule of thumb that if you do EITHER the intake or exhaust, you don't need to recalibrate, but if you do BOTH of them you definitely have to flash the system?

Even at this late stage of EFI I'm seeing exhaust and intake products that note that recalibration isn't necessary, but on the HD site it seems every part requires a new flash!

I'd definitely be looking at a Stage 1 intake kit, and I'd even go for the EFI update, but would I be looking at a second update if I were to do the exhaust later, or does the generic Stage 1 flash have enough leeway to cover that?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:11 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You should buy a Power Vision Tuner from Fuel Moto. They will provide you with new maps as you make changes to your bike.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Ideally, you want to retune every time you make any change that will affect airflow. Usually, that means changing intake, exhaust, or both. Some people will go further and change the cams, port/polish the heads, etc. The ECM on the bike will compensate to some extent, which is why you're probably fine if you just change the mufflers or the intake, even the headers depending on what you get, but the bike will run best if you get a tuner such as the Power Vision and adjust the AFR yourself, either by downloading maps from Dynojet or having a shop dyno the bike. The tuner is a one-time purchase and will give you the ability to vary the injector timing almost infinitely, no matter how many changes you make to the engine. The expense comes from having a professional tune the bike for you.

Also, I wouldn't spend money on flashes from Harley because they are most likely designed to meet EPA regulations, rather than designed to be what's best for your engine.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Do yourself a favor and just buy a proper tuner up front. It will perform better than the flash and it can be adjusted to match whatever components are on your bike.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:05 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts

Cool- thanks for the advice. I'll tuck all of it away for future reference!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

EFI rule of thumb is factory setup is good for nothing. Even if you do not change any parts (intake, exhaust, whatnot) you still will do the right thing by upgrading the Fuel Management.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,952 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by John S
I still read widely varying accounts of just what does and doesn't require an EFI recalibration: is the rule of thumb that if you do EITHER the intake or exhaust, you don't need to recalibrate, but if you do BOTH of them you definitely have to flash the system?

Even at this late stage of EFI I'm seeing exhaust and intake products that note that recalibration isn't necessary, but on the HD site it seems every part requires a new flash!

I'd definitely be looking at a Stage 1 intake kit, and I'd even go for the EFI update, but would I be looking at a second update if I were to do the exhaust later, or does the generic Stage 1 flash have enough leeway to cover that?
Here is a thread where the first post gives a good overview of options for EFI recalibration.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-29-2016, 02:17 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

There is a bit of a tug-of-war on this subject, with the backyard tuners in one camp and the purists in the other! We can 'get away' with doing nothing or very little and wonder why the bike doesn't run very well; use various devices which make simple changes, including dealer downloads; or do a thorough retune and get it just so.

I've been around since the bad old days of slash-cut pipes and an untuned S&S carb, when such bikes never ran right and made a lot of bad noise, so I have become a purist!