Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Idle Issue 1991 XLH

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,707 Likes on 1,174 Posts
Default Weird Idle Issue 1991 XLH

I recently replaced intake manifold seals, carb seal, accelerator pump diaphragm, vacuum and fuel line, choke cable. Also bowl gasket and installed an aftermarket idle mix screw with new oring with original spring and washer.

Did not mess with jets (its got a 42, but I need a better screwdriver and a 45 jet next) or needle assembly, just sprayed some Chemtool into the various jetting channels. Removed tank but did not drain or inspect. I did not see any crap in the bowl, but a lot of gas leaked trying to get the original screws out, so I guess some crap could have gotten around while I did that and sloshed it around.

Okay, she started right up, and the bike runs great, got the idle set using idle-drop method. Runs like a beauty. Here's the problem.

Once in a while (only been 70 miles or so) it seems like the idle port gets clogged. I get sudden decel popping, and she doesn't want to idle, just dies like starved for gas. I can feather the throttle to keep it running. It still runs fine off idle. Then, it will once again just run and idle perfect, with no more decel popping and perfect idle when you roll to a stop. All I can think is that I either loosened some crap and it's flushing out, or maybe the tank has some crap I stirred up when I took it off. It's always been garaged and has no signs of rust whatsoever. I was careful not to shake it up as well. I've owned the bike since new and she's always been kept indoors and I always try to keep the tank full to prevent rust. Here in Southern California I don't have the storage issue others do.

I'm gonna put some more miles on (and a heavy dose of Seafoam) and see if it clears up, but it sure seems like some boogers are intermittently clogging my idle port. Sure runs strong with no more vacuum leaks and the VOES probably working again.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-07-2016 at 05:50 PM.