Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 1200 custom 2017

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts
Default New 1200 custom 2017

Hi group. I'm new to Harley's but been riding bikes of all sorts since 10 years old Just brought myself a new 2017 custom 1200 and I'm looking to install a stage 1 kit after it's 1000 mile service any suggestions. Nothing real loud. Just the nice Harley rumble is what I'm looking for
ferther note any of you guys found the 1200 's have really long gearing especially in 5th and has anyone dropped the front belt sproket ( read ) pully down in size a coupe teeth ?
glad to be a member of this group
cheers Colin

Old 04-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

When I had my buell I had a bigger front sprocket I would throw on for highway trips. Didn't take long at all, should be just as easy to go down in size but the speedo might be off a bit. Congrats on the bike by the way.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 PM
oldguyriding
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did a Stage 1 upgrade on my 2017 Sportster 1200C. I did the Stage 1 intake from H.D., the Screamin Eagle Street Cannon slip-on mufflers, and the Screamin Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Did the work myself and everything turned out fine. I like the sound of the mufflers. Just the right amount of rumble and not too loud. Also accelerates better.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:20 PM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 930 Posts

What did you used to ride?
I'd say do your power mods and see if that satisfies you. If you go down tooth you might be wishing you had a 6th gear on the highway.

If I had the loot I'd hop up gears 1-4. 5 is perfect for me.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mrhammer2u
What did you used to ride?
I'd say do your power mods and see if that satisfies you. If you go down tooth you might be wishing you had a 6th gear on the highway.

If I had the loot I'd hop up gears 1-4. 5 is perfect for me.
i used to ride a yzf 600 yam and loved it to death but after I moved to the states I thought I'd buy local. When in Rome so to speak. Love the Harley she only just clicked over 250 miles it might be early for me to say being I'm not new to bikes just the way the 1200 produces power 5 feels real long

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 04-10-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldguyriding
I just did a Stage 1 upgrade on my 2017 Sportster 1200C. I did the Stage 1 intake from H.D., the Screamin Eagle Street Cannon slip-on mufflers, and the Screamin Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Did the work myself and everything turned out fine. I like the sound of the mufflers. Just the right amount of rumble and not too loud. Also accelerates better.
hey oldguy
yeah was thinking of going the same route as you only I was going to get the dealer to flash the ecm but from what I've heard is that the dealer wants to sell you the tuner as a part of the flash deal. I like the rumble on the Harley's but let's be honest some bikes are just crazy as LOUD

Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
When I had my buell I had a bigger front sprocket I would throw on for highway trips. Didn't take long at all, should be just as easy to go down in size but the speedo might be off a bit. Congrats on the bike by the way.
Hey yamaharley
That being said that swapping out the front pully will alter the reading on the speedo can that be recallabrated electronicly? My brothers cbr had some sort of speed sender from the front sprocket does Harley do the same. Sorry just not familiar with these bikes as of yet

Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
hey oldguy
yeah was thinking of going the same route as you only I was going to get the dealer to flash the ecm but from what I've heard is that the dealer wants to sell you the tuner as a part of the flash deal. I like the rumble on the Harley's but let's be honest some bikes are just crazy as LOUD
just an after thought and I'm sure it's been asked a million times what was ithe cost of you stage 1 upgrade. If you could break it down to item cost so I get a better idea on cost and with the slip ons you got
also can you change out the baffle if you care to
thx Colin

Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,750 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
just an after thought and I'm sure it's been asked a million times what was ithe cost of you stage 1 upgrade. If you could break it down to item cost so I get a better idea on cost and with the slip ons you got
also can you change out the baffle if you care to
thx Colin

Yes, you can change the baffle, take all of it out or part of it and it will change the sound to louder.

The cost: Harley dealer will charge you an arm and a leg, if they even do them anymore (new EPA rules). Better to find a good indy mechanic.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Yes, you can change the baffle, take all of it out or part of it and it will change the sound to louder.

The cost: Harley dealer will charge you an arm and a leg, if they even do them anymore (new EPA rules). Better to find a good indy mechanic.
yeah im starting to get that feeling every time I talk to a dealer about anything But they did say they would flash the bike just they want to sell you the SE tuner and that I turn they will flash the bike for you. I'm guessing that they ain't selling too many of these at 300 bucks a pop
im thinking I'll buy the parts I need for the stage one and deal with an independent mechanic for the flash as I can't see me modding the bike any ferther than that
thx for the advice
Colin

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 04-11-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: New 1200 custom 2017