Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 03:01 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default FP3 is awesome!

I wish I had bought an FP3 a lot sooner, (like right when I bought the bike). When I got my 883 Iron in April, I had the dealer do the 1200 upgrade, V&H 3" slip-ons, and a high flow a/c. These seemed like the things to do based on all I read on this forum. I'm glad I did those things, and then more mods from there, but this tuning thing needs mentioning... When you do those upgrades at a dealer, and don't know any better, then make it sound "mandatory" (by HD), to spend $300 for the SE Pro Street Tuner, + labor for this crucially important item, which a novice would not even know what it does. They insist that the service dept has to do the flash tuning for you, and this is always done with any stage one upgrade. They only do it once, (if they actually do anything), and then you're stuck with this contraption you can't sell b/c it's married to your bike. What a f-ing scam. You way over pay them for all these cool accessories and installation, and they can't even be honest about this? This thing does absolutely nothing. All summer I lived with huge decel popping, and backfires on decel that sounded like gunshots. They told me it was normal. Then I changed to a RSD Blunt a/c and I asked them to re-do the download, "just in case their first one wasn't perfect". They said "sure" and supposedly did it again. Same crap. Decel pop up and down the streets. Embarrassing. Finally, I decided to go with a Power Vision or an FP3. I researched them extensively and read all the posts here. Most of you with experience say PV is better, and you have solid reasons, but there was really bad about FP3. I liked the simplicity, no wires, and the phone app on FP3. Since I'm not going beyond stage one on this bike, I ordered an FP3. Also because I found it on Amazon for $329, and could return it if it didn't work well. It showed up in two days. I installed in 10 min. Did the map which they already had available for my set up, and what do you know... No more decel pop, huge power increase. & better mileage. Plus all these cool features on the app readout while you ride. Didn't even need the auto tune, or dynos or anything. This awesome piece of technology completely upgraded my bike. It was the best mod I bought. If anyone is contemplating stage one upgrades and the dealer tries to suck you into one of those SE crappy tuners. Just say no. Order an FP3. Do the upgrades yourself or at the dealer, but tune with your FP3 and you will be happy. It really is awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Iron Man:
hstrawn (09-11-2017), jayelrider (09-19-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 520 Likes on 260 Posts

The thing causes me a huge amount of grief. Many days I wish it had never been invented. The lack of a wideband tuning capability, and V&H's closed ecosystem for tune sharing, are both huge problems for me. These things manifest themselves in the form of huge customer service issues. I'm on the verge of telling people no, we're not going to support it.

But my requirements are different from yours. So this doesn't really apply to you.

The following users liked this post:
Ratwerke (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Its junk. Would never tell anyone to buy that garbage but, for basic stuff its fine. Glad you are happy.

pv is the truth. Fp3 is the unfortunate consequence of looking for "eazy" &"cool". My pv has paid for itself over and over.

Last edited by cvaria; 09-10-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Ratwerke (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

I loved my FP3 on my 2014 Iron883... I got it on amazon for $300.

I bought a PowerVision from FuelMoto when i got my 2016 48 in March since it was on sale $400 and wow it is definitely something else!
I know understand why almost everyone recommends powervison.

1 more advantage with powervision is that if you sell your bike, you can keep it and purchase another license from dynojet for $200. Or if you have multiple bikes you can use it on all of them for $200 per bike.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 14IronCross
1 more advantage with powervision is that if you sell your bike, you can keep it and purchase another license from dynojet for $200. Or if you have multiple bikes you can use it on all of them for $200 per bike.
saved me over $400 on dynos and let me haggle dyno services. Paid $600 to dyno 2 bikes vs $600+ each. Not every dyno shop uses dynojet goods though.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by aswracing
The thing causes me a huge amount of grief. Many days I wish it had never been invented. The lack of a wideband tuning capability, and V&H's closed ecosystem for tune sharing, are both huge problems for me. These things manifest themselves in the form of huge customer service issues. I'm on the verge of telling people no, we're not going to support it.

But my requirements are different from yours. So this doesn't really apply to you.
Wish I knew what all that meant. It worked for me. Plain and simple. I am sure there are better, more fine tuned systems like PV, and Dyno beyond that, as I have read here many times, but man, this thing for a novice, is just cool and just works.

hstrawn (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Next bike I'll try a PV. Every here recommends it. Then I'll have experience with both. For now though, the fact that this simple device solved 90% of my decel pop, and added more power across the board, makes me very happy with it. Especially where I am not nearly as handy as some of you are doing your own mods and upgrades. I completely respect what you all do and your high opinion of PV. I just wrote tha review for the many who are not mechanically inclined, and just want to ride a Harley, and after buying one, want to do a few things to upgrade it. My main point was to not the the dealer suck you into the SE product when you can do much better with FP3, or moreover, with PV.

hstrawn (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM
mrhammer2u
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 928 Posts

I have the FP3 and it runs much better than with their LCD Fuelpak which was garbage. The FP3 works. If I could do it again and find one on sale for only $100 more as the above poster said, I may have done that.

But subconsciously I think I leaned towards the FP3 so that I would not be tempted to blow another $400 on dyno tuning,...like I may have if I got the PV. It was an exercise in restraint. I'm sick....lol.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM
funguseater
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally happy with the fp3. Works fine for all stage 1 requirements on my roadster. Great not having to rely on the stealership. Cobra slipons with no popping, did autotune with k and n filter. Getting average 50 mpg (UK). Going to upgrade soon to a dk customs air cleaner. It's already saved me a few trips to the dealer. Horses for courses I guess.

DK Custom (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

The FP3 is a great tuner for Stage I upgrades...easy to use, and if you're attached to your smartphone, you'll probably really like it.

I was surprised how well it worked when I tested it when it first came out.

If you're going to do more than a Stage I upgrade to your ride, then the Power Vision is the way to go!

We use both, and are pleased with both.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: FP3 is awesome!