Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster bag mounting systems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default Sportster bag mounting systems?

Looking an planning in the future of saddlebag on my Sporty. Most likely will be hard bags, but am curious as to how the mounts look, without the bags. Over on Adventure riders forums, guys there usually have a rectangular frame between the bad and the bikes moving parts, and a cross bar that goes behind the rear tire to keep them from swaying. They are also mounted to the sub frame near the seat, for top support. Looking for weeks at different setups, they are all kinda vague when it comes to pics on mounts, actually ON the bike.

Does anyone have any pics of the mounts?

Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 2,400 Posts

The standard Harley mounts on a 2017 SuperLow has 2 threaded bolts sticking out that the bag hangs on with the nuts being put on from inside the bag.
A bit of a local hazard when the bag is not on perhaps.
The mounts are only at the top, there is no subframe going down toward the swingarm.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 11-12-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I also have a SuperLow, with LeatherPro bags, which fit and lock onto a pair of posts on each side. This thread shows one of their products, also follow the link in post #3 - plenty of pics and info. Neat when the bags are off the bike, fit nice and tight when on - and adjusted correctly!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:19 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Grbrown

I think the link got left out. Are these mount bolts the same one my Sportster uses for the HD quick detach sissy bar? Maybe the pics in that thread show the bottom of the bags and what keeps them from flopping.

Are HD bags the only ones that use those?

Old 11-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,029 Likes on 871 Posts

For some reason I've had trouble posting pics lately. Tried to post my mounts with the bags on and off......nothing.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:41 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Computers are fun huh. I had that issue once on this site and had to do the whole post over.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by handirifle
Grbrown

I think the link got left out. Are these mount bolts the same one my Sportster uses for the HD quick detach sissy bar? Maybe the pics in that thread show the bottom of the bags and what keeps them from flopping.

Are HD bags the only ones that use those?
I wonder now if I actually put a link in that post! Let's try again with the LeatherPro thread!

The following users liked this post:
Cotten (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Interesting thread. I have read almost every page on the bagster thread, and very few pics of mounts. That helped some, but the mention of them floppingva bit, is where my concern is. I couldn't find those bags on leatherpros site. Are they lockable?

I wonder if just about any set can be adapted, like those were, to fit a sportster? Would sure make looking for used ones easier.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member

My bags were new at the time of those threads and I hadn't mastered how to adjust them, but I've got them 'just so' now, so I am much happier with them. When we are touring my wife rides this Sporty, so I often follow on another bike and see any movement the bags may get up to. They are based on the FXDXT bags, which came on my 2003 Centenary model and can be found here. They are rather like a pair of suitcases, meaning it is easier to fill and empty them off the bike, then simply snap them on. The other styles of LeatherPro bags seem to be better suited to filling and emptying while on the bike. They can be locked on the bike, but the contents are not secure, as the bags simply have zips, although they can probably be secured using small padlocks.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Cotten
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree it is a good topic. I would love to have a quick release for my bags. And I too have been trying to think of a way to make a quick mount without sacrificing the rigidity my bags have now. But think I would just as soon have the bags as a bracket with nothing on it.
I mounted mine by replacing the stock bolts with longer harder ones (Grade 6) because they also hold the bushings for the quick release sissy bar mount. But the down side is, it is hard to get everything lined up to take the bolts in and out. And once i get them in, tightening the nut inside the fender without dropping a wrench and dinging the paint or the wheel is also a challenge. I thought about using a stud with a nut on the bag side but I'm not sure that the stress of the sissy bar wouldn't have an compromise the nut after it had been removed and replaced a number of times.
I know none of this is any help but at any rate I'll be pulling for you. I would also appreciate it if you post what you come up. Luck.

Quick Reply: Sportster bag mounting systems?