Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines FP3.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:23 PM
FXDF Whiskey Throttle
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How did the map sent by V&H work out for you?

Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 PM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDF Whiskey Throttle
How did the map sent by V&H work out for you?
I made two baffles on my lathe to up the low revs back pressure and then got the map back. I must say the bike is definitely better - especially below 2500 rpm. I think the back pressure made a difference as V&H told me that the short shots are not the correct pipes for what I want. Seems a 2 into 1 is a much better option because it has some sort of back pressure. But for now I'm satisfied! Regards!

Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

My 2007 does the same thing as yours, did. Did it stock and with the Vieds added. Have not tried a tuner, hopefully someday down the road. I have runnng high rpm when moving from one light to another in town. Seems like overkill on the motor, nor do I lug it.

I realize the firing order prevents totally smooth and that doesn't bother me, but it almost sounds like a miss. I just leaned out my Vied and took for a short run to make sure there is not popping on decell but have not tested the slow speed running yet.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by handirifle
My 2007 does the same thing as yours, did. Did it stock and with the Vieds added. Have not tried a tuner, hopefully someday down the road. I have runnng high rpm when moving from one light to another in town. Seems like overkill on the motor, nor do I lug it.

I realize the firing order prevents totally smooth and that doesn't bother me, but it almost sounds like a miss. I just leaned out my Vied and took for a short run to make sure there is not popping on decell but have not tested the slow speed running yet.

Strange setup from Harley on this motor... really not a very bright move as it is irritating to say the least and actually Harley just sells more Indian Scouts here then ever before because of this!! On low / lower rpm I ride my R9T 1200 BMW and it is super smooth... the Ducati XDS is smooth, the Fatboy is smooth... but this bloody Sportster is just the opposite. The other day one of the local Harley's main mechanics spoke to me about the Sportsters and had nothing affectionate to say about the later year Sportsters (engine management, suspension and soaring price).... Why Harley, why??

Last edited by JWCFatboy; 01-28-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well wasn't complaining. Actually like how it runs. Sick of Jap bikes. Never had a desire for a BMW and triumps remind me of Hondas. No I prefer this bike and the only issue I have is not being able to afford a proper tuner since it is EFI.

Everybody has their own tastes. To me the Indians look too modern. Not as bad as the new "Adventure" bikes that look like they jumped out of a Transformers movie set.

Not sure what he didn't like but doesnt matter. Heard too many old time Harley guys bitch about sporties being girls bikes and just don't get the elitist frame of mind.

Sure it shakes at times but its a Harley.

The following users liked this post:
JWCFatboy (01-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 06:09 PM
Ernie DeBord
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im 64 been Harley & carbs snice I was about 16 or so, Quit riding for a few years, ( that's a story in itself ), Bought my 1st EFI a Brand new 2016 883 "Iron" put a 1000 miles on it took it in for the dealer service. As soon as that was done, I took it home and did the "Stage One" using V&H "slip-ons", Nekkie Air filt "kit", & the FP3. Last fall I traded it in for a new 1200 "Iron". It came with the ext warranty, ext maintence and all the bs they "throw in". All I know was I gave the 2016 and about 4000 for the new bike, tax & all "out the door". Don't know or care if I made a good deal or not, I just wanted that new AWSOME White 1200 "Iron". I do my own work and at 500 miles I did the "stage one" on my new bike, at 800 miles I went ahead and took it in for the 1000 mile "thing", Its in showroom condition & put up in my shop until spring, maybe fer about 6 more weeks or less I hope. I aint to worried about the warranty as I know how to treat and maintain my stuff, I will do the maintence form here on out as I don't trust just anyone, but that's me. I am as poor & tight as anyone in here, my point to this post, is I feel these new sporties MUST HAVE the Stage One & the FP3 to run and sound the way they are supposed to, Regards "Big E"

Old 01-29-2019, 01:33 PM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ernie DeBord
Im 64 been Harley & carbs snice I was about 16 or so, Quit riding for a few years, ( that's a story in itself ), Bought my 1st EFI a Brand new 2016 883 "Iron" put a 1000 miles on it took it in for the dealer service. As soon as that was done, I took it home and did the "Stage One" using V&H "slip-ons", Nekkie Air filt "kit", & the FP3. Last fall I traded it in for a new 1200 "Iron". It came with the ext warranty, ext maintence and all the bs they "throw in". All I know was I gave the 2016 and about 4000 for the new bike, tax & all "out the door". Don't know or care if I made a good deal or not, I just wanted that new AWSOME White 1200 "Iron". I do my own work and at 500 miles I did the "stage one" on my new bike, at 800 miles I went ahead and took it in for the 1000 mile "thing", Its in showroom condition & put up in my shop until spring, maybe fer about 6 more weeks or less I hope. I aint to worried about the warranty as I know how to treat and maintain my stuff, I will do the maintence form here on out as I don't trust just anyone, but that's me. I am as poor & tight as anyone in here, my point to this post, is I feel these new sporties MUST HAVE the Stage One & the FP3 to run and sound the way they are supposed to, Regards "Big E"
Well put!! I'm with you ALL the way!! Also a very young 64 in an old body... heck how I miss my younger days, but this is what I have left SO I"m GOING FLAT OUT!! And Yes - also "poor" and doing all the services and work myself!! Darn I wish we could meet... only a pond and 21000 miles apart!

The following users liked this post:
Ernie DeBord (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:55 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well am 66 in May and never said I was poor but am on a fixed income. My money is prioritized elsewhere so the bike upgrades have to come gradual. Picked up some Viking hard bags from another forum member so that is how much of my shopping goes. Do my own work when I can. That includes our diesel truck and 5th wheel. Like I said not poor just cant afford the FP3 at this time. Same went for exhaust. Did the enlarged holes in the baffles and may or may not stay with that, but for now it works.

This stupid state just modified their exhaust laws to allow for hefty fines on modded exhaust and is at much the officers discretion. Will see how that pans out. Would be a crime to spend $300 and up to get a fine for it and have to go back stock again.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by handirifle
This stupid state just modified their exhaust laws to allow for hefty fines on modded exhaust ....
America... the land of the free ?????

Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JWCFatboy
America... the land of the free ?????
Yea my wife and I keep talking about moving back to America (a state other than CA) but all our kids and grand kids live here, so that makes it tougher. Might happen anyway. I could go on for hours, but this is not the place. Heck moving would free up a LOT more of this fixed income.

Will wait to see how enforced it is. Cops here have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by handirifle; 01-29-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines FP3.....