Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines FP3.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:31 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Even if you stay stock it is worth being able to modify the mixture.

As others post time and time again, the 2014 onward bikes have been tuned as lean as the MoCo dare. Richening the mixture makes a huge difference to how the engine runs.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 01-30-2019 at 04:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy from Sandy:
Ernie DeBord (01-30-2019), JWCFatboy (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:21 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Even if you stay stock it is worth being able to modify the mixture.

As others post time and time again, the 2014 onward bikes have been tuned as lean as the MoCo dare. Richening the mixture makes a huge difference to how the engine runs.
Very true!!

The following users liked this post:
Ernie DeBord (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I suspect they (the epa) will do like they did with diesels. Forever they were exempt here the started doing smoke and visual testing. Looking for modified exhaust, turbos and missing parts like cats. Now they plug into the OBDII port and look for tuning. I don't say much about my truck in open forums because we have proven they monitor and go after certain individuals in certain states as well as tuners themselves. Just suffice it to say they can read modified tunes. If the tuners used EFI Live then locked their tune, you failed the test until they can open and read factory tune.

Folks did too much bragging online and now those tuners and their products are gone. Already I see exhaust system not available in CA so it is already beginning.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Sad to hear... the world is becoming an enslavement... Evils like the EU run by Merkel - dictating to the car / bike industry... till they take away the freedom of travel and self protection. Luckily the WEST is waking up!!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:54 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

A few months later and an update on the FP3 and uneven Sportster engine at lower rpm... The two things I reported on regarding the 2016 Forty Eight are the uneven engine at lower rpm and the "stability" issue .... I'm none the wiser despite many hours of trying out the FP3 - V&H custom maps, Auto tuning etc.etc....

I had a long conversation with my local HD dealer (120 km from me) and this guy knows his Harleys and tuning.... been doing that for many years. He has corrected the surging issue of Sportsters for long now and tomorrow I'm off to him. He does not like the V&H FP3 system and says it is gimmicky at best and explained to me why he has that opinion. Also say that most V&H pipes are no where near as good for HP as they claim.... So tomorrow he will get my 48 on his dyno and do a two run check to confirm his predictions regarding the surging (yes fueling - and HD unevenly fueling the cylinders up to a certain rpm and then switching the sequence after that... so when you tune for low down you get issues in the higher rpm and visa versa...)

As I understand he takes a full 6 - 8 hours of dyno tuning the Forty Eight - taking and making corrections for every 5% throttle... He assures me that the issue will be fixed after his "surgery" .... and if I'm not satisfied he will not charge me.... So let's see.....

Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Well when he is finished you will be able to see and post your table data for us all to see and compare with what we have.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:24 PM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Well when he is finished you will be able to see and post your table data for us all to see and compare with what we have.
For sure...but I've struggled so long with this "surging" issue that my guess is I'm not going to have to pay.... but, let's give the man the benefit of the doubt...

It is just plain bull %%^&t to ride these new Sportsters and not enjoying it because of this issue that comes directly from the HD factory. If this is not remedied, I'm selling the 48.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:24 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,413 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Originally Posted by JWCFatboy
A few months later and an update on the FP3 and uneven Sportster engine at lower rpm... The two things I reported on regarding the 2016 Forty Eight are the uneven engine at lower rpm and the "stability" issue .... I'm none the wiser despite many hours of trying out the FP3 - V&H custom maps, Auto tuning etc.etc....

I had a long conversation with my local HD dealer (120 km from me) and this guy knows his Harleys and tuning.... been doing that for many years. He has corrected the surging issue of Sportsters for long now and tomorrow I'm off to him. He does not like the V&H FP3 system and says it is gimmicky at best and explained to me why he has that opinion. Also say that most V&H pipes are no where near as good for HP as they claim.... So tomorrow he will get my 48 on his dyno and do a two run check to confirm his predictions regarding the surging (yes fueling - and HD unevenly fueling the cylinders up to a certain rpm and then switching the sequence after that... so when you tune for low down you get issues in the higher rpm and visa versa...)

As I understand he takes a full 6 - 8 hours of dyno tuning the Forty Eight - taking and making corrections for every 5% throttle... He assures me that the issue will be fixed after his "surgery" .... and if I'm not satisfied he will not charge me.... So let's see.....
Guess I'm lucky or something, the FP3 worked fine on my bike. No dead spots, smooth idle, no surging, and is still pulling when I've unintentionally hit the rev limiter. I wasn't looking for every ounce of power as I could care less about that. All I know is the FP3 works fine for riders who just want to tune the bike to run with added pipes/mufflers, and hi flow air cleaner.

The FP3 was never was intended to replace a dyno, which is good cause I'd be damned if I'd let someone beat the **** out of my bike on a dyno for 6-8 hours.

The following users liked this post:
Ernie DeBord (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:51 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Never used and FP3 so this is conjecture, but it seems to make me wonder if there might be a problem in the FI system itself on the JWC's bike. Software will not fix a bad injector or sensor, or even an ECU. Just something to consider.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 AM
JWCFatboy
Cruiser

The Forty Eight went onto the dyno at the local Harley dealership... and for sure it indicated that up to 3000 rpm the FP3 fueling for the two cylinders are out of sync... Thereafter the two cylinders become rather evenly fueled. This will have to be "hand" corrected with the help of the dyno (11 runs) - the dealer uses Dynojet systems that do not talk to FP3... and it looks like it is a rather better setup than the PF3 from V&H. I'm considering changing the FP3 to the Dynojet setup.... I had the Autotune function active for three tanks of fuel and finished the "learning" just before the dyno run.

There was another Sportster (1200)... basically the same setup as mine (just had a heavy breather - mine is a USA Machine big breather). This Sportster just came from the dyno the previous day - all nicely calibrated via the Dynojet ECU on the bike. The two cylinders were very much in sync but what was surprising was the HP and torque advantages it had over mine. It recorded 74hp while mine was on 58hp....

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines FP3.....