Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wreck/Insurance/Wow

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Stevehat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck/Insurance/Wow

As many of you know Pearl and I got hit the other day. Just got off the phone with two local Harley dealers about an estimate. Both said I had to drop the bike off and it would take a week just to do the estimate. Then the insurance people would come in and look at thier info and say yeah or neah. Then they would order the parts. Then it would be fixed. This could take from three to six weeks total time depending on painted parts and part availability. Not to put it too bluntly but there's not an insurance company on the face of the planet that will pay for a rental car for three to six weeks to get my bike fixed............that sucks big time. And I've never had that kind of an answer on any vehicle I've ever had an accident with. I'm better off driving a broken bike than paying for all that rental car time...................wow............welcome to the Harley personna

Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 PM
BentZero
Cruiser
Default RE: Wreck/Insurance/Wow

You'd think that the other person's insurance would pay for your rental car.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
jterp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i remember correctly the person who hit you did not have insurance, right?

My buddy's S4 was hit by an old lady and was beat up bad. It was in the shop for 3 months getting fixed -- and they gave him a rental car for the entire time.

I think it will depend on how your insurance company has your bike listed. I know my insurance company has my bike listed as an 'occasional' or 'recreational' vehicle. This gives me a cheaper rate than if it were my primary mode of transportation -- but i doubt that they would give me a rental if the bike got hit.

If your insurance company considers your bike your primary mode of transportation and a rental vehicle is part of your policy then they should certainly give you a rental for the entire time that the bike is in the shop.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:51 PM
silverbullet2006
Cruiser

I agree your ins.co should provide a car rental for no matter how long your ride is laid up hell we all pay too much for coverage to not get something out of it when something like this happens

Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't ya just love the "great Harley-Davidson customer service"?

I can see where the rental thing could be a problem. I really have no idea if my insurance would provide a rental "bike" or not. My bike has become my primary vehicle, but I do still have a Jeep sitting around here somewhere.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Stevehat
Advanced

jterp........I posted a second entry saying the guy actually did have insurance. His insurance would pay for damages, etc.. I still don't think any insurance company would pay for three to six weeks of rental car, especially since one whole week was just to perform an estimate!! It would be nice. We'll see.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Cabo
Road Captain

I would double check that. Are you having your insurance company collect from theirs or are you dealing directly with theirs?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If he has insurance, I'd say you have a good chance. You might have to get your insurance agent to "earn his keep", but they will mostlikely cover a rental. If not, you have other legal options.

I once had an insurance company pay for a rental car for 3 months after one of their policy holders took the entire ride side off of my Camaro Z28.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
XL1200C07
Novice

I went through a similar experience getting a bike fixed after it was hit by a car. It seemed to take forever, but you're likely to get the same delays with any other make of bike, or even for cars. The problem is that the repair shops get stiffed for a lot of work on crash bikes. Until they actually get something in writing from the insurance company, they don't have any assurance that it's going to be paid for. Some insurance companies won't pay the going rate for labor and may try to push you off on an auto body repair shop. In any case, the HD dealer doesn't want to pay for the parts and have them installed on the bike and then not get paid for it. If you want to speed things up, you might get them to order the parts and charge it to your credit card - you can get a refund when/if the insurance pays.

Sorry you're in that situation, Stevehat - hope Pearl gets fixed soon!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

went through this last summer expect it to take 6-10 weeks I had to have new front fender and tank and that was the hold up . the triple trees , fork sliders, pipes, footpegs, mirrors and grips were installed with in two weeks.

Quick Reply: Wreck/Insurance/Wow