Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make a breather like this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does anyone make a breather like this?

Let us know how it works Goth, I would love to have a different set up also.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

If you have the time and desire, then you should do it. I still think it is going to drip on your engine after awhile and I think the Kuryakyn does as well. That's what happens to people that install the acorn type filter that just hang there. It won't happen right away but in 2000-4000 miles (depending on how much blowby you get) it will get on your engine.
I guess I don't see the problem with having to change (or wash out ) a filter every 2000-4000 miles if it meant keeping oil from dripping on my engine and pantleg.
I'd consider it basic maintainance. No harder than having to pull a choke lever to start my bike. I guess I'm old school but it doesn't bother me to do those things.
I've said it all along Goth. I think it's a good design. Go for it man!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
jackofhearts
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I have only read this post and will be investigating my engine the next time I am an out there wondering what I am going to play with next. (as you all have been doing as well). but my basic instinct is th recall that the system is referred to as PCV, positive crankcase ventilation, one of the first anti smog devices. Indeed, blowby is a mixture of chemicals and gasses and waste products laden with oil. Recall how pissed we all were to learn this was being dumped into our fuel mixtures. I havent looked yet but I am assuming this is going into the filter before it hits the manifold. I am certain there is a check valve that prevents any return, even though it may be mostly oil,I think it is contaminated and would not want it back in the crankcase. With this in mind, and Kuraykian having a vent tube, I cant see the purpose unless the device is indeed a canister that needs to be drained every so often, and the hose as an overflow device. We should be able to tell how much liquid comes out by the marks on our filters where the hose dumps onto the paper etc. Assuming again it goes in pre filter. If indeed it is small, and I suspect it is on newer engines, I am satisfied to let it dump into the filter. I seem to recall that excess blowby occurs when the rings are old and worn, so, this probably gets wose with time up to the point where we must overhaul. Anybody have additional thoughts to this theory?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

I guess I don't see the problem with having to change (or wash out ) a filter every 2000-4000 miles if it meant keeping oil from dripping on my engine and pantleg.
I'd consider it basic maintainance. No harder than having to pull a choke lever to start my bike. I guess I'm old school but it doesn't bother me to do those things.
Well the problem is that it will take 2-4K mi. the first time, then it will continue to spray. You would have to remove the bracket (remove the air filter and backing plate) and clean it out. That's more labor intensive than directing the breather hose to a catch can.

Also, you asked what problems it can cause? The worst I can see is the umbrella valves sticking open from the blowby pouring back on them. Once that happens it should throw off the engine breathing. What problem will that cause? No idea.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well there are some really great points here and believe me, I am taking it all in. I am going to break out my service manual an indeed look at the path of this blow-by. Inquiring minds want to know. I WANT TO KNOW!! I was under the impression that like stated above, the blow-back of oil into the carb wasa pollution related thing. They used to just blow out to the air...ground...pants...whatever. Then HD realized you could just shoot it back into the carb and it would get burned off 2nd time around. I was also under the impression that the MIST is from the heat on the upper part of the heads which creates pressure which needs to be vented through the umbrella vent then out the breather. This misted oil is a simple way to get oil into the rocker box area of the head. I am SURE I am completely wrong here. I must do more research into this. Build a prototype and test it. It wouldn't be the first time I learned by trial and error.

Keep this goin guys, this is the type of discussion that keeps me here.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
jackofhearts
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes guys. This kind of discussion is what keeps me coming back. Please do keep us posted, especially on the apparent volume of the waste. I would like to know how much of that stuff comes through.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, I'd be interested to see how it turns out as well.